FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for working with multiple frame rates/ratios in a project that will be output for theater viewing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Wiener
Workflow for working with multiple frame rates/ratios in a project that will be output for theater viewing
on Apr 7, 2017 at 7:31:41 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of editing an hour-long documentary for my job which has footage from many different formats and frame rates. Basically half the project is from 10 years ago and the frame rates are 29.97, while the more recent footage is 23.976 and was shot on Canon C300s as .MXF files. I've been working mostly with the new footage, making sequences using the native 23.976 frame rate but now I am beginning to go through the older footage in 29.97. This project will eventually be screened on large screens, and likely with a limited theatrical release. I'm trying to figure out how best to work with everything I've got while having a suitable output for theatrical release.

I've done some tests with the older footage converting it to 23.976 using Premiere, Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip, etc. Most of the footage has audio which is obviously affected when converting to 23.976.

I know I can work in Premiere with multiple frame rates but I'm concerned this will be an issue when having to master the project for theatrical release, which I assume will be with DCP settings.

Any help or nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Workflow for working with multiple frame rates/ratios in a project that will be output for theater viewing
on Apr 9, 2017 at 3:34:57 pm

if the old framerate was 29.97i 3:2 pulldown, which is interlaced, and you drop it in a 23.976 sequence, premiere should automatically do the reverse pulldown. how does it look? does it frame jerk at all?

if not smooth:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/optical-flow-time-remapping-tips-tric...

DCP is exactly 24p. so once you're rendered your final 23.976 premiere output in a very high quality intermediate container, import and reinterpret to 24fps. this will modify the video and audio at the same time so there's no audio drift. or the harder way, but faster, you can use a metatag edit on the fps playback speed such as compressor or remuxing on pc(this method requires audio stretch and pitch correction).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]