FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam source sequence mapping mono audio tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Dundas
Multicam source sequence mapping mono audio tracks
on Apr 3, 2017 at 4:40:04 pm

The production company I work for just switched from FCP7 to Premiere Pro CC. This is my first project as an AE using Premiere and I need some help. Our project is multi camera reality TV style so I am attempting to multicam everything. We shot on 3 Sony F55 cameras, along with some gopros. We had over 10 people mic'd up with wireless lavs and audio was recording on 2 separate 788t recorders. The cameras had timecode jam synced with the audio.

I used the timecode to create a multicam source sequence. There I have all of my camera and audio clips from the whole day synced up. I removed all the audio tracks from my cameras because they were just for reference, leaving just my external audio on the sequence. We had 2 audio recorders, one recording 7 mono tracks and the other recording 4. So I have 11 total mono audio tracks in my sequence. Each track is a different microphone.

The trouble I am having is when I try to nest my multicam source sequence into another sequence, or when I load it into the source window and drop clips in a new sequence, I am losing some of my audio tracks. It gives me 8 tracks instead of the 11 on my source sequence.

I have learned audio is much more complex in premiere than fcp. I made sure to select my audio files after importing and chose Modify>Audio Channels... and I set them all to mono. And I selected mono audio when creating my multicam source sequence. I also used a sequence preset with multichannel audio so when I open my sequence settings the audio is set to multichannel with 11 tracks. I went to the audio mixer tool and mapped all of my tracks to output on their own mono track by setting track 1 and 2 to output on 1-2, then I panned 1 left and 2 right ect.

So now when I play my sequence, my master audio meter to the right of my timeline is showing 11 channels and they are all getting levels. So why on earth am I only getting 8 channels when I right click on it and choose New Sequence From Clip. I figured I would get the exact same number of tracks in my new sequence when I nest it.

Anybody know what I might have missed?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Multicam source sequence mapping mono audio tracks
on Apr 6, 2017 at 12:29:16 pm

[Ryan Dundas] "So now when I play my sequence, my master audio meter to the right of my timeline is showing 11 channels and they are all getting levels. So why on earth am I only getting 8 channels when I right click on it and choose New Sequence From Clip. I figured I would get the exact same number of tracks in my new sequence when I nest it.
Anybody know what I might have missed?"

When creating your multicam sequence did you use the "make multicam" function? If so, then in the audio section you should have chosen "all cameras." If you do that then your multicam source sequence will have every source available.

It is not advisable to go into your multicam source sequence and start messing around with the patching, it just screws things up. Choose the correct format when creating the multicam source. Also, right clicking on a multicam source and then choosing "make new sequence from clip" is flaky - a sequence is not a clip and the results can be weird. If you don't have a sequence template that you like in the "new sequence" module, then simply pick one of your source clips and create a new sequence from that.

And yes, audio handling in Ppro is much more complex than in FCP, especially with multicam sources, and unfortunately there is little to no documentation for anything but the simplest uses.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Daniel Pawlowski
Re: Multicam source sequence mapping mono audio tracks
on Jul 28, 2017 at 11:08:16 pm

I as well would like to see a solution to this. I came from FCPX as well and let me tell you - FCPX was any audio editors best friend.

Adobe Premiere on the other hand - not such a joy to work with when it comes to audio.

How in the world do we create a sequence from a multicam source sequence file that CAN ACTUALLY RETAIN ALL AUDIO TRACKS throughout the entire editing process?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]