FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in 60fps, editing in 24fps timeline, retaining 24fps motion blur

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Shively
Shooting in 60fps, editing in 24fps timeline, retaining 24fps motion blur
on Apr 2, 2017 at 12:33:16 am

Hi all, I've searched around and couldn't find an answer to this, all google results discuss smooth slow motion, which I DO NOT want! I try to shoot most things in 24 fps with a 1/48 shutter speed for the traditional cinematic look. I am trying to shoot in 60 fps with a 1/120 shutter speed, but when I drop that into a 24fps timeline in Premiere I'd like it to look like I natively shot in 24 fps, motion blur and all. Is this possible (it must be!) and how do I achieve it. The reason why I want to do this is so I can speed up my shutter speed and not have to use stacks of ND filters; the option for slow mo is just an added bonus that I could take or leave.

TIA

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Shooting in 60fps, editing in 24fps timeline, retaining 24fps motion blur
on Apr 2, 2017 at 1:28:39 am

If you want this in real time, you can't get there from here. 60fps in real time will be very crisp looking. Plus editing it in a 24fps timeline will result in dropped frames and a very stuttery look.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nick Shively
on Apr 2, 2017 at 2:43:12 am

What if I were to "replace clip with after effects Comp" and throw the force motion blur on there to make up for the dropped frames?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 2, 2017 at 11:52:30 am

ahh, I know what you're talking about. this was very popular about 6 years ago. The idea is, is that if you use twice the shutter of the frames, then if you interpolate down, the relative blur will still be there. it was popular with red giant frames 29.97i to 23.976p software. Premiere comes with optical time remapping built in now. This won't look as good as perhaps alchemist AD for frame change, but its free if you own premiere.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/optical-flow-time-remapping-tips-tric...

Also, most frame changing software actually works better if you shoot with high shutter speed and add optical blur in post as edges aren't as defined for the interpolation algorithms. you can add post blur with reelmotion blur or even timewarp shutter blur only at 100% speed in AE.

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Apr 3, 2017 at 2:06:49 pm

From my understanding, you need to shoot 48fps. There just isnt the right math to make 60 look like 24. With 48, every other frame will be kicked out and should look like 24 given your doubled up shutter setting.
Shoot 59.94p for 29.97p. In theory as I have not done this yet. I am wanting to do this on an upcoming broadcast shoot where everything we have been doing for this client was 29.97 delivery and yet I want the extra frames available if I want to do slow motion.

However, I am also looking at shooting a test with footage shot at 38fps progressive, then editing 29.97 with the footage interpreted as 29.97. Should give very subtle slow effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]