FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital to VHS problems... Anyone do it before? (Canopus ADVC 110)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Kelly
Digital to VHS problems... Anyone do it before? (Canopus ADVC 110)
on Apr 1, 2017 at 8:52:57 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a crazy project. For aesthetics, I'm trying to output digital video to VHS and then back again. I've used the Canopus ADVC 110 to capture various VHS projects through Premiere CS6 and it has worked perfect. It has a DV in/out firewire, the footage is compressed to Quicktime DV NTSC, I go to export /Tape/Then Record. I press record on the VHS Player. Have the RCA cables connected to the video and audio out on the back of the canopus and into the video/audio in, in the back of the VHS player... Then when I try to capture back in Premiere, the VHS is blank... I have the device setup in Premiere... I can't find any forums in which someone has tried to use the Canopus to record back to VHS... Does anyone have any ideas or clues into what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Digital to VHS problems... Anyone do it before? (Canopus ADVC 110)
on Apr 2, 2017 at 3:31:31 am

You might have to switch the real-time playback to CPU instead of GPU. Also there is a button on the ADVC 110 that switches from analogue capture to analogue output.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 2, 2017 at 2:58:18 pm

May we assume you connected properly to the VHS deck's Video & Audio Out?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 3, 2017 at 1:59:26 pm

You should not need to do a "Print to Tape" - with gear set up correctly, just play the timeline and it should come out of the ADVC 100 as analog.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 3, 2017 at 11:21:09 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "You should not need to do a "Print to Tape" - with gear set up correctly, just play the timeline and it should come out of the ADVC 100 as analog."

I thought he was having a problem capturing the VHS tape. Maybe I read it wrong.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16:57 pm

Hi Andy,

He is actually doing both - he wants to record Premiere's timeline output onto a VHS tape, then capture the VHS tape back into Premiere. Trying to add the "old VHS" look to the video or so I gather.

Print To Tape is an AUTOMATED procedure, used with timecode. For instance, printing to miniDV or DVCAM, or some Pro deck using RS-422 control. With a Firewire-to-Analog converter, should only have to play timeline and video output will come out of converter as analog in realtime. Did it for years myself. Just needs to be set up correctly, but I can't say what those settings are anymore after so long. But definitely not using Print to Tape process.

You know what would work, is just getting a Black Magic Intensity Pro card. Actually has analog RCA inputs and outputs, would interface directly to VHS deck both ways, without any DV conversion going on. But the Canopus should certainly work as well.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]