FORUMS: list search recent posts

In/Out weirdness

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
In/Out weirdness
on Mar 30, 2017 at 5:43:10 pm

Hi all,
The In/Out marker keys stopped working in Source, then the buttons. I trashed prefs and they work again. But there are a few clips where I can't change In/Out. Is my timeline corrupt?
I can drag in Source or the Timeline to move the In or Out to the end in some clips but not others.
And the In/Out clear keys are inoperable and the Clear choices in the Markers Menu are whited out for the old selected and the newly selected clips as well. What gives?
I'm using a pancake layout with Rushes timeline above and Selects timeline below. Mostly selecting clips from the Rushes timeline.
BTW, what happens when you double click in a timeline and a clip shows up in the source monitor? What are we looking at? The clip as it appears in the timeline or the original clip? A dynamic link to the clip in the timeline?
Most of all, why can't I change or clear the Ins and Outs? Why is the menu whited out?
Should I go back and try to Clear the Ins and Outs by opening the clip from the Project Panel? Will try that.
I would want to go back to a previous save if this project file is corrupted.
Thanks for any insights.
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: In/Out weirdness
on Mar 30, 2017 at 5:47:01 pm

Did you inadvertently lock a track?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 30, 2017 at 8:54:54 pm

Thanks, Dave. Interesting idea, but no.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 30, 2017 at 9:05:57 pm

Here are the results of an experiment:
Opened a clip from the project panel, marked Ins and Outs, then the Clear options were available in the menu.
Even a same clip that I opened in Source then I couldn't clear them in Source.
Something different seems to happen with opening clips into Source from the Project Panel vs opening them from a Timeline. Ins/Outs are locked and can't be adjusted.
Come to think of it, maybe I ran into this previously with audio clips -- opening from Project Panel showed different Ins/Ours vs opening them from a Timeline.

I don't know what to make of this or what it tells us about how Premiere functions, but it's not something I've been able to find in the documentation or Adobe Help.

Referring to the Source window:
In this case, opening from the project shows a "clean" clip with no Ins/Outs. I can add them and delete them.
Opening the same clip from the timeline shows a clip with fixed In or Out that I can't change.

More to be revealed.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 31, 2017 at 7:19:20 pm

Still exploring--here's what I understand at the moment.
Somebody on FB referred to Parent Clips and Child Clips. Apparently Parent Clips open in the Source Panel from the Project Panel. A clip that's placed in a Timeline becomes a Child Clip
Here's what's happening in my process:
I'm putting a lot of clips on a timeline (video or audio) and using the In/Out markers to select a segment of a clip, or _several segments from one clip_. If I open a Child Clip from a timeline and add Ins/Outs they are not changing the Parent Clip.
If I put the newly marked Child Clip in another timeline, called Selects, and double-click to open it, the results of what appears in the Source Panel are unpredictable. I've done this with Audio Child Clips and what appears is the entire Parent Clip with no markers. I've done it with Video Child Clips and I see locked In/Out markers that can't be changed in the Source Panel.
At least I _think_ that is what is happening.
For my process, I can use In/Out controls to delimit a segment of a clip to move from one timeline to another, but it's better to drag the Ins and Outs to the end of the clip to remove them before going to the next clip. I have to use drag if it's a Child Clip--the In/Out keystrokes don't work.
Aii. None of this is really findable in the documentation or Adobe Help. Except for the following under the topic Master Clip Effects:

"In addition to applying effects to track items or clips in a sequence, Premiere Pro lets you apply effects to master clips.

A master clip can be described as a parent clip, and all the sequence clips created from the master clip as child clips.

To explain further, master clips are objects in the Project panel other than sequences, multi-camera source sequences, and bins. Examples of master clips include merged clips, subclips, and synthetic clips (such as, adjustment layers and color mattes).

If a project contains multiple items linked to the same file on disc, each of those project items is an independent master clip. That is, a parent-child relationship cannot exist within items in the Project panel. The parent-child relationship is limited to master clips in the project and sequence clips in the Timeline.

When you apply an effect to a master clip, the effect automatically ripples down to all sequence clips (child clips) created from that master clip."

This does introduce the term "child clips," but says nothing about limitations and results of applying In/Out markers to Child Clips.
Just sharing. Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 1, 2017 at 8:30:08 pm

Rather than give yourself a headache with all this, why not just hit "F" when in the timeline to match frame. Then your clip appears in the source monitor (with the current timeline in and out points) and you can do anything you want.

I agree about the inconsistent behavior and poor documentation.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 1, 2017 at 9:04:22 pm

Cool. I will check this out. Will try hitting F for Match Frame and see what shows up in the Source. Maybe a parent, maybe a child. :-)

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 4, 2017 at 12:03:46 am

Truly amazing, John. Hitting F produces an entirely different result from double-clicking. The In/Outs appear and the Clear Ins/Outs buttons work.
One of these days I'll see what it does in an audio file.
Who'da thunk it?

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]