FORUMS: list search recent posts

One point Perspective

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionne Knapp
One point Perspective
on Mar 29, 2017 at 2:41:28 pm

I'm doing a student film (junior in college) and there's a door at the bottom of a staircase that is increasingly foreboding to the main character who is irrationally afraid to open it.

I want the shot of that door from the top of the staircase to have that one-point perspective effect where the staircase looks longer than what it actually is and the door is centered in the frame so the viewer's eyes are drawn to it - like what Kubrick uses in "The Shining" and most of his movies.

I don't have a million dollar lens and I cant go out and buy one . My camera I'm using is a Sony XD . I'm not a cinematographer so I'm not sure if or how I could change the settings to get that perspective or if i even need to? Maybe its all about how you center the door in the frame ?

Or can you change the perspective in post? I have Adobe CC so could I do this in AE or Premiere?

Any help would be awesome :-)

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

James Barry
Re: One point Perspective
on Mar 29, 2017 at 4:02:44 pm

The short answer is, at your skill level it might be easier to achieve this effect on set and not in post.

What you're trying to do is called a "dolly zoom" in which the camera moves forward/backward while the zoom and focus is pulled.

Here's a link explaining it and a bit of a how-to

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/01/everything-need-know-dolly-zoom

Return to posts index

Dionne Knapp
on Mar 29, 2017 at 4:40:51 pm

Love it! Thank you, that's very helpful! I was expecting it to be much harder than that:-P

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:06:25 pm

Also sometimes called a "Spielberg zoom" although he was certainly not the first to utilize it.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 30, 2017 at 11:52:41 pm

Oh, it IS much harder than that. Syncing the focus, zoom, and camera movement will have you tearing your hair out. As long as your camera is on a stable dolly, you might have a chance. Forget doing it handheld, though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]