FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with Stills in Timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rafalow
Problem with Stills in Timeline
on Mar 29, 2017 at 2:23:11 pm

I'm using the latest (2017.0.1) version of Premiere, and have a weird issue with placing stills over interviews in my timeline. After overwrite on V2 of a still (simple Jpeg), the still won't play back, and when I pause the timeline, the screen goes to a digital white. Never happened before, and I'm puzzled. Resizing the jpeg didn't help, and I even made sure that the interview clip was ProRes. My only workaround was to send the section to AE and render it out.
Many thanks to anyone who might be of help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Problem with Stills in Timeline
on Mar 29, 2017 at 4:32:14 pm

Make sure the still is 8-bit RGB, can be checked in Photoshop

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Rafalow
on Mar 29, 2017 at 4:56:14 pm

Thanks...I realized that the dpi was too high. Changed it to 72 and all is well. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16:24 pm

Hi Peter,

Glad you got the issue sorted, but DPI has nothing whatsoever to do with video. With video, it's all about resolution, meaning pixels, so I will assume you lowered the resolution of the image? For instance, image went from 10000x8000 to 2000x1600 pixels?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Peter Rafalow
on Mar 29, 2017 at 5:40:39 pm

Yes, yes, you're right. I did lower the pixel size. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 29, 2017 at 7:58:14 pm

Hi Peter,

I wish to apologize to you - just looked in Photoshop, and the adjustment for DPI is actually called Resolution. I don't know if it always said that in older versions or not? I also realized that changing the "resolution" setting, which is really DPI in this case, does change the dimensions of the image in pixels. So, you were correct in saying that you lowered the DPI of the image!

My point about DPI is that the term is not used in video (but you were talking about a still image). When printing an image at say 150 dpi, it will be the same size on paper regardless of printer used or paper used - 150 dpi is 150 dpi. With video, the image is made of pixels, and the size of those pixels is dictated by the resolution and size of the screen displaying the video. Could be a phone, could be a 70" or larger TV, screen might be 720p or might be 1080p, showing the same video source.

I just have a knee-jerk reaction when I see posts about video and DPI together, typically something like "what DPI should I make my stills to put in a video?" In that case, DPI does not work. 300 dpi might be great for printing, but if the still image is only one inch square, 300 dpi is not so great then because the dimensions would be only 300x300 pixels - far smaller than an HD frame and only half the size of even an SD video frame at 720x480.

So if someone asks "What size should my stills be for HD video" then I would say for instance "1920 x 1080 pixels" and the DPI is irrelevant. Meaning, I could have an image in Photoshop with dimensions of 1920 x 1080, and whether DPI was already set at 72 or 300, the pixel count would be the same either way. That is what I was referring to earlier.

Honestly, I'm confused. Been using Photoshop for many years, and I swear that at one point changing the DPI setting would NOT change the pixel count (it would change the inches though). Now I see that it's changing pixels also and I don't recall that always being the case. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe Adobe changed it somewhere along the way.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Rafalow
on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:46:11 pm

Hi Jeff, no worries on any of this! I'm grateful for your insights and experience with this stuff. You're right that Photoshop does change the pixel size when you change/downgrade the resolution, but it's no problem because you can upgrade the pixel size once you've changed the resolution with no issues. That's what I did with this project. The images started out as 600 dpi and 5000+ pixel size. I first changed the resolution to 72 dpi, then changed the pixel size to double my HD size so that I could zoom in on the images in the Premiere Pro project. It worked perfectly.

Thank you for your follow-up on this. You were correct on every aspect.

Cheers,
Peter

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Apr 20, 2018 at 3:04:36 am

Does your experience mean that at the very least each still should be kept at 72dpi?

I understand what the other poster was saying re resolution/pixel size, that dpi doesn't really count for anything in video. But, is it important to make the dpi/resolution setting 72 in order for Premiere to work well??

I ask because I've been having a lot of issues as above - stills don't appear, screen is black, they don't appear in the exported sequence, etc.

When I search this issue, one advice is to keep the size down but I assume this is pixel size and it means losing the ability to track and move within the still.

Thanks

Mickey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]