FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shrink down a video clip into a separate file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Saunders
Shrink down a video clip into a separate file
on Mar 24, 2017 at 10:27:06 am

Looking in my lynda.com classes I can't figure out how to do this....

I have a source video file that is say 5 minutes long but the only piece that is usable is just a 1 minute segment.

How would I pair down the file to what I need making a sub file that is smaller?

And thanks again to everyone, Your help is greatly appreciated.

-David

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Shrink down a video clip into a separate file
on Mar 24, 2017 at 10:51:39 am

Import the file, open it up in the source monitor, mark in and out for the bit you need and then export it out.

Return to posts index

David Saunders
on Mar 24, 2017 at 11:40:10 am

Ok great that makes sense

What setting do I click on the export to keep the same file characteristics?

Say the source was shot 4k 30fps on a Sony ax100

Thanks again

David

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 24, 2017 at 2:03:57 pm

Hi David,

I tend to do my trimming right on the timeline. Use the Razor tool to place a cut where you want to start clip, then right-click on that first portion (before the cut) and select Ripple Delete. Then cut again where you want to end, then just select and delete that end part. Many ways to accomplish the edits. There's also Mark In/ Mark Out then Lift or Extract, and those tools are available in the Program Monitor window.

As for export, where is the clip going? For myself, I may shoot 4K at times, but am not delivering 4K to my viewers - will export as 1080p or 720p. Most people are not set up to play/view 4K, that's my opinion.

Exports for delivery (either for online or thumb drive, etc.) are usually H.264 - this is pretty universal for playback on Mac, PC, online, etc. and provides an .mp4 file format.

Before you even start editing - important to choose a proper Sequence Setting for the footage. If clip is in the Project Bin, you can right-click and select New Sequence from Clip. Then the sequence will match the source.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

David Saunders
on Mar 25, 2017 at 10:53:45 am

Hey Jeff

I totally agree with you that most my editing is done on the timeline.
But this was the case where the file I created was HUGE and in the end all I needed was only 1/4 of it.

Thank you very much for the answer!

-David

Return to posts index

Sergei Azarov
on Mar 24, 2017 at 2:04:00 pm

The best way is to use VirtualDub. It can trim and split video without render (use direct stream in video options).
If your source video has non-support container (like mp4), then use something like SolveigMM Video Splitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]