FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image quality loss upon export

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Richardson
Image quality loss upon export
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:29:00 am

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this, so forgive me if this has already been covered (I can't find a thread of the same nature).

I'm trying to achieve a very short animation of a few flags popping up across an older style nautical world map. The JPEG I'm using is high res (4000x2902), and from what I've read downsizing shouldn't be much of an issue. However, when I import the image into Premiere, some loss of quality is noticeable, then when I export everything into a .mov file, the resolution is seriously downgraded. I'm sure there is something incredibly simple that I'm missing here, but I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks,

Carl.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Image quality loss upon export
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:43:39 am

No way to tell. You could have used the wrong sequence settings or the wrong quicktime codec. We really can't tell.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carl Richardson
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:58:35 am

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

I understand that there are a plethora of variables here. Just wondering if there could be one solution that stands out more than the rest. When I import the image into Premiere, the quality in the preview area is sufficient, but as soon as it is dropped onto the timeline all hell breaks lose!

Thanks,

Carl.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:24:53 pm

Hi Carl,

What are the Sequence Settings used? Export Settings? Screen grabs are extremely helpful in these situations, otherwise we have no clue as to your workflow.

One suggestion - scale the flags to required size in Photoshop before importing into Premiere, then Premiere does not need to do any scaling.

Meaning, if the Sequence in Premiere is 1080p (1920x1080) then make the flag image 1920x1080 pixels. Now, the flag does not have to fill that entire frame - size and position flag in the frame like you want it to be in the video, and the background can be transparent (alpha channel). Save as .psd or .png with alpha to maintain the alpha in Premiere.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Carl Richardson
on Mar 22, 2017 at 7:49:18 pm

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your help! I scaled the image down to the required resolution in Photoshop first, and voila!

Much appreciated, and next time I'll post a screengrab or two!

Carl.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:25:43 pm

Here's the only thing that comes to mind for me: too much detail in that map. Fine lines, especially.

Once they get scaled down, they can disappear & reappear. It's especially bad in areas of high contrast, i.e. a fine black line against a light tan background.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carl Richardson
on Mar 22, 2017 at 7:50:10 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. I managed to get there in the end (scaled down the res in Photoshop prior to import). Thank you very much for your assistance!

Carl.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]