FORUMS: list search recent posts

Titles behind a moving video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Titles behind a moving video
on Mar 21, 2017 at 7:06:33 pm

Is there a template where I can put a title behind a movie object like you see in Trailers and commercials all the time now? Basically, I just want to be able to drop a moving object into a template, change the title to something to do with the video, and render it out.

Is there a template that can do this without me having to do any of the masking?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Titles behind a moving video
on Mar 21, 2017 at 7:34:41 pm

There is no template to automate rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 21, 2017 at 8:32:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the OP was asking about using text to partially or completely mask the action and didn't accurately describe what he meant.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:54:30 pm

After reading the original post several times, and reading both of your responses, I think Tero may actually have gotten the gist of the question. I think the original poster would like to have his text element move behind, ir from behind more likely, one element in his live video, i.e. the title moves out from behind one of the foreground trees in the forest.

If that is the correct interpretation, then Tero is correct, in that rotoscoping an existing tree on a second instance of the primary clip may be the solution... of course, one could also roto an tree from another shot and add that as a separate layer; or, one could also purchase trees on a transparent background from a stock footage or VFX company.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2017 at 10:10:55 pm

You notice how people now ask, "Is there a template that can do it?"
They used to ask, "Is there a script that can do it?"
And before that, "Is there a plugin that can do it?"

Time marches on... but aversion to doing work does not, I guess.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 22, 2017 at 1:39:19 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I think the original poster would like to have his text element move behind, ir from behind more likely, one element in his live video, i.e. the title moves out from behind one of the foreground trees in the forest.

If that is the correct interpretation, then Tero is correct, in that rotoscoping an existing tree on a second instance of the primary clip may be the solution"

Yes, I think you're right and I'm wrong.

However, as a lazy VFX artist I always look for a solution that doesn't involve leaping right into rotoscoping.

A Color Key, a Luma Key or even a Difference Matte can often work in cases like this.

Rule One: Never rotoscope if you can possibly avoid it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:15:58 pm

It was a bit tough interpreting the original post... so nobody is keeping score... And, there is so much detail work in everything all of us do that we're all constantly looking for more efficienct ways to accomplish things... if that's lazy then I'm certainly guilty.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:19:50 pm

I would probably murder by pet hissing cockroaches if somebody came up with a plugin that would automatically and perfectly rotoscope any object I clicked on without having to outsource that to India.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:40:24 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I would probably murder by pet hissing cockroaches if somebody came up with a plugin that would automatically and perfectly rotoscope any object I clicked on without having to outsource that to India."

As I mentioned above it's called a Keyer and it's available now.

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Mar 22, 2017 at 3:53:41 pm

HI,

I have posted 2 pictures of exactly what I meant. Just picture the 2 people in the foreground moving and the titles are moving as well behind them.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 22, 2017 at 4:18:44 pm

As we've now all agreed, unless you planned for this and shot the actors against a green screen, you will have to rotoscope them in a second instance of your clip, and any movement of those characters will require lots of frame by frame adjustments, which will be very difficult for anyone who is new to roto work.

When you see this work in a commercial it's typically preplanned and the foreground shot separately from the background, which makes this type of stuff much less complicated in post.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]