FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting lossless video (x264 vs h264 and more!)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre-Luc Boucher
Exporting lossless video (x264 vs h264 and more!)
on Mar 17, 2017 at 2:37:29 am

Hey there,

I just finished editing an extended version of the MST3k Movie and I'm ready to export the final product. I exported some previews with the following settings:

The short previews looked great with these settings, but I want to make sure the actual movie is exported at the highest quality (lossless or as close). The project was made from the original Blu-ray M2TS files, 1920 x 1080.

• It's my understanding that x264 is better than H264?
• Is there an advantage to using Adobe Media Encoder instead of Premiere?
• I might want to add an alternate audio stream later in an MKV. Should I export the video stream and audio stream separately?

Hope this info helps you and thanks in advance!

PL Boucher

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Exporting lossless video (x264 vs h264 and more!)
on Mar 17, 2017 at 7:21:11 am

[Pierre-Luc Boucher] "lossless or as close"

H264 or x264 aren't even close to lossless. You would probably want to use DNxHD

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Boucher
on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:18:34 pm

Good to know, I wasn't familliar with this codec. The reason I thought of H264 as the best option was this: when I demux the streams from an MKV made directly from a Blu-ray using tsMuxer, the codec for the video stream usually shows H264.

Was I wrong in my way of thinking? I see DNxHD is made by AVID, so would it be compatible with Premiere?

Thanks for your reply!

PL Boucher

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:53:08 pm

DNxHD is built into Premiere. Blu rays support H262, H264 and VC-1.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 17, 2017 at 2:06:01 pm

PL,

A very important question - what is the purpose of this export - what do you want to do with it? That will influence the choice of codec you choose.

Is it for a MASTER copy, from which you can later export various formats, or do you want to post online, or...??

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Boucher
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:43:01 pm

Hi Jeff,

The purpose of the export is to have a personal copy of my extended cut that's comparable or indistinguishable in quality to the officially released Blu-ray, since my edit is meant to be an alternative to the real movie. The resulting file has to be easily played and shareable on a variety of devices (computer, TV with USB drive, Plex, etc).

Once exported, it will not be posted online or re-encoded in different formats or burnt to disc. It will be a file that can be readily accessible to play on devices mentioned above.

Hope that makes sense!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:48:47 pm

For the compatibility/playback reasons you mention, then .mp4 is the most standard format to use.

Your current settings should produce a very high-quality result. You may want to uncheck "Max Render Quality" - that is only used for scaling, which you are not doing in this case, frame size is constant between Source and Export.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Boucher
on Mar 20, 2017 at 12:46:11 am

That's good enough for me!

Thank you both
PL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]