FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where are dropped frames reported when you have "report dropped frames" checked?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Ross
Where are dropped frames reported when you have "report dropped frames" checked?
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:11:31 pm

I have “report dropped frames” checked on in preferences/capture; where do dropped frames get reported? I have never been able to figure it out. I've searched in Adobe's help and I’ve done a lot of searches on Google but haven't found what I'm looking for (so many posts are returned in my searches that have to do with what to do about dropped frames; right now I merely want to see how many are getting dropped).

I saw one screenshot online that suggested dropped frames get reported in the “properties” of a clip that has been captured. So if you right-click on a clip and choose properties, it might tell you in there. Unfortunately, for me, on clips I’m 100% sure frames were dropped, no such information appears. Does it depend on the codec or container?

I was really hoping that Premiere had a feature something like AJA’s control room where it keeps a running tally of dropped frames during a capture, and displays them at the bottom of the capture window, but I simply haven’t found anything like that so far in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Where are dropped frames reported when you have "report dropped frames" checked?
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:58:49 pm

As soon as you save a capture and there were dropped frames a window appear with the text Frame were dropped (or something simular).
No frames dropped: no message.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
Re: Where are dropped frames reported when you have "report dropped frames" checked?
on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:13:38 pm

Thanks for your reply; that's good to know.

It is, however, disappointing to hear. I'm doing some 4K capture tests to a particular destination, and when I have "abort on dropped frames," my capture will abort 100% of the time after a few seconds. OK, so my data throughput is not high enough to keep up.

Then I un-check "abort on dropped frames" and instead just leave "report dropped frames" checked. Now, 0% of my capture tests report anything once I stop the capture. This is why I was confused as to where dropped frames are reported, because I am absolutely sure I am dropping frames, but yet I am getting no report of it.

Just to make sure I wasn't witnessing some colossal coincidence and every time I only had "report dropped frames" checked I actually didn't get any dropped frames, I played back a looping video with burned-in timecode from my source. Once again, no report of dropped frames. However, when I go through the resulting capture frame-by-frame, there are dropped frames galore.

So for me at least, "abort on dropped frames" seems to work correctly, but "report dropped frames" never does.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 19, 2017 at 12:28:41 am

Might be a problem with deck communication. Do you have another cable?

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Mar 20, 2017 at 1:09:45 pm

Thanks for your reply.

We can actually capture with no dropped frames reliably if we capture to an internal SSD, so we're pretty sure the issue is not with the source (and it's not actually a deck; the signal is coming via HDMI from a different PC. I realize the "burned in timecode" comment might have suggested a deck, but it's actually a rendered-out After Effects comp).

We're running down the issue as to why we're dropping frames, but what my original question was really about is trying to figure out why Premiere isn't giving me any kind of report about dropping frames when I know that I am, and I have "report dropped frames" checked on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]