FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highest quality export setting for edits from Premier Pro CC to After effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bethan Jepson
Highest quality export setting for edits from Premier Pro CC to After effects
on Mar 14, 2017 at 5:12:01 pm

Hi,

I'm sure this is somewhere in the forum so apologies for repetition but I just couldn't find the appropriate answer. I am editing sequences for a film that's heavy in effects. I'm working on Premier and passing the sequences to another editor who is working on a separate machine on After Effects, so I need to export instead of dynamic link. I'm worried about quality loss. Has anyone got any recommendations to what export settings I should use? Normally I use PNG sequence but this time there is audio so that wont work. Thank you for any advise.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Highest quality export setting for edits from Premier Pro CC to After effects
on Mar 14, 2017 at 5:37:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 14, 2017 at 6:13:12 pm

I hope you have a good system of scene and shot identification. You'll need it.

I'd export individual effects shots -- not a series of shots, one of which may need effects work -- from PP as PNG sequences as you're used to.... and I would ALSO export the relevant audio as wav or aiff (no compressed audio !) using the same in-out points. If the frame rate's right, there shouldn't be a problem. Send your AE person a test shot & audio to confirm... but I'm darned confident it will work.

If your AE person gets everything in the shot to look right -- i.e. the shot looks real and like everything belongs, which it should -- color correction & grading can take place later, if necessary.

If you're worried about video not syncing up with audio, export the shot with trim handles, whatever you deem appropriate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bethan Jepson
Re: Highest quality export setting for edits from Premier Pro CC to After effects
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:39:40 pm

Hi Dave thank you!! I appreciate you taking the time out to answer. You've actually helped me before, so thank you.

I've edited whole scenes, about 10-30 secs long with audio, you think PNG and aiff audio are a better way to do it rather than an H.264 or a lossless codec similar?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:05:54 pm

[Bethan Jepson] "...you think PNG and aiff audio are a better way to do it rather than an H.264 or a lossless codec similar?"

Indeed I do!
For one thing, H.264 is NOT lossless. It's a fine delivery codec for YouTube, but as an AE guy I certainly wouldn't want to use it as source footage!
I'd be tempted to think, "H.264? That's IT? I guess they don't care how it looks, so I guess I don't have to break my neck on this project."

But if the stars happen to align for you -- matching creative cloud versions & all that -- try John Pale's suggestion.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bethan Jepson
on Mar 14, 2017 at 9:26:15 pm

Ok I'm going with this I really need them to break their neck on this! It's for my biggest client. Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:50:03 pm

Can you use Project Manager to provide your After Effects Person a copy of the sequence with media? With Creative Cloud, your After Effects person can also have Premiere on their machine to dynamic link with.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:38:03 pm

[Bethan Jepson] "I'm worried about quality loss. "

Use openEXR, DPX or TIFF sequences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]