FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highlights oversaturated after export

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Highlights oversaturated after export
on Mar 13, 2017 at 10:08:47 pm

I'm experiencing a problem where my highlights become oversaturated after I export video to H.264.

Here's a screenshot from the program monitor in Premiere Pro CC:

and here's the same frame in VLC player after I export my video to H.264.

It's evident that something is happening during encoding. What am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: Highlights oversaturated after export
on Mar 14, 2017 at 2:04:20 am

If you open your exported video in Premiere Pro you'll find it looks exactly the same as the file you exported. I just went through this after months of handwringing and hair pulling. Open VLC and go to tools>preferences and click on the video tab and change "output" from "auto" to "OpenGL video output". Not "OpenGL video output(experimental)", that will produce a black screen.

That should result in your video inside VLC looking exactly as it does in the PPro Program Monitor.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Mar 14, 2017 at 2:06:37 am

btw if that works, thank Chris Wright, not me!

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Mar 14, 2017 at 6:43:41 am

Thanks for your suggestion Duke, but unfortunately that didn't work for me. The problem is consistent across all media players, so the saturation is embedded in the video file.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:35:31 am

Try clipping your highlights down.

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:37:26 pm

Well, I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem, so I used a hell of a time consuming workaround. First I exported every shot that had the problem into a TIFF sequence, then I imported the TIFF sequences back into a nested sequence. The resulting TIFF images had a noticeable color offset compared to the original material, so I had to use masks and track mattes to replace every highlight in the shot. This included lots of keyframing to move the masks over the highlights. The result is a good H.264 video that looks exactly like the preview on my program monitor.

I would still like to find quicker solution to the problem, because I don't want to do this manual patch up every time this problem occurs in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]