FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast quality .mxf files from Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fiona Fuchs
Broadcast quality .mxf files from Premiere?
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:02:45 pm

Hello kind Premiere Pro experts. I am delivering a broadcast file and the specs are very convoluted (to me ;). I'd like to make sure I am delivering correctly as it's a tight timeline. Could someone (pretty please) outline the settings I'd need to export a file like this from Premiere:

Fileformat
MXF according to SMPTE 377-1

Operational Pattern
OP1a according to SMPTE 378M

Essence Mapping
According to SMPTE 386M

Generic Container
Frame-based mapping according to SMPTE 379-1

Partition multiplex
1 Header Partition, no Body Partitions, 1 Footer Partition

Random Index Pack
Present

Essence location
Complete Essence in Header Partition

Index table location
Complete Index Table Segment in Header Partition

Descriptive Metadata
None

Tracks in Material Package
1 Timecode Track, 1 Video Track, 1 Audio Track

Tracks in Source Package
1 Timecode Track, 1 Video Track, 1 Audio Track (referencing the 4- or 8-channel AES3 audio element)

Material start/end
Picture to Picture

First Frame of content (no bars, clocks, etc.) / Last Frame of content (no adverts, trails, textless material, etc. ; that has to be delivered separate)

Timecode Material Package
Start value: 00:00:00:00

Timecode Source Package
Start value: 00:00:00:00, discontinuities: no

Timecode System Item
Start value: 00:00:00:00, no discontinuities; incrementing on a frame basis

Active Format Descriptor
Present inside the Generic Picture Essence Descriptor

Return to posts index

Korin Unka
Re: Broadcast quality .mxf files from Premiere?
on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:58:01 pm

Which country is it for?

Return to posts index

Fiona Fuchs
on Mar 14, 2017 at 6:51:06 am

Germany 🇩🇪

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:45:48 am

What version of Premeire? This is an option in Media Encoder in the 2015 version and later. But...I'm confused...

[Fiona Fuchs] "First Frame of content (no bars, clocks, etc.) / Last Frame of content (no adverts, trails, textless material, etc. ; that has to be delivered separate)"

NO BARS AND TONE? No slate of information? The B&T I can possibly see, but no slate? VERY odd.

[Fiona Fuchs] "Timecode Material Package
Start value: 00:00:00:00"

OK, that's just ridiculous. US standards for broadcast demand hour 1 for show start, so 1:00:00;00. Europe wants hour 10, 10:00:00;00. Who on earth wants 00?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Fiona Fuchs
on Mar 14, 2017 at 6:53:21 am

It's for Germany. The timecode stuff is pretty clear to me - I was more concerned about making sure the essence is in the header - but I'm assuming that's all dictated by the mxf opa1 part?

Return to posts index

Korin Unka
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:34:13 am

Yeah normally you would select xdcam 50mbps 25fps... then change the 25fps to interlaced upper field first. We do our stuff for new zealand tv so it would be similar but they should give you the specs. The presets are pretty good under that format, I think there is an xdcam preset. The main think with broadcast is legalising the upper limits or whites.

Return to posts index

Fiona Fuchs
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:48:35 pm

Thanks - I did make them like that then had a look into the file with an analyzer and it seems good!

Many thanks for the information!

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:51:08 am

Shane, the TC in and slate, etc. may be unusual but my hunch, based on how extremely technical the spec sheet is, is that they know precisely what they want, so I'm not questioning any of that. And as far as no slate e.g., this is more and more common with transcode-ready assets e.g. for iTunes, Amazon etc.

Fiona, as far as all the MXF essence and metadata structure requirements, you either ship it as is and hope it's all ok, or to do it right, use an MXF analyzer. Yes, it is heavily technical, as online editing and QC can be sometimes. That's why I charge more. 😉

A few tools to do the job:
  • IRT MXF Analyzer - a mere 4,400 EUR, but they have a cloud service you can upload your file to (hopefully it's not long form), for ~20 EUR per file, or time-based, and also with 2 free analyses per account.
  • Nablet MXF Explorer is a bargain in comparison, at $700.
  • Myriad Bits MXF Inspect is... free ☺ though the author disclaims it's not completely SMPTE-compliant. Beats not inspecting the file at all, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]