FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro stuttering with iPhone 6 footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Vance
Premiere Pro stuttering with iPhone 6 footage
on Mar 9, 2017 at 9:39:10 am

Hi.

I'm using Premiere Pro (the latest) and I'm editing Canon 7d footage and iPhone 6 footage together. However, the iPhone footage stutters and won't play back in real time (timeline is yellow).

I'm on a Mac Pro with 20 gigs of RAM, and with a GeForce GTX 680 with 4 gigs of video RAM. I've edited Arri Alexa footage on this with no problem. And the Canon 7d footage plays back swell.

I used Filmic Pro and recorded at 24 fps at 50mb/s in the iPhone.

How can I get the iPhone footage to play nice in PPro? (It plays fine in QuickTime and VLC, so it's not the footage).

QT says it's playing back at 24.01 fps -- is that the problem? Slightly different frame rate?

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Premiere Pro stuttering with iPhone 6 footage
on Mar 9, 2017 at 12:13:36 pm

Try convert your Iphone footage with Handbrake !

Read this post:

Samsung Galaxy and S7 video footage !

Return to posts index

David Vance
on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:35:00 am

"Read this post:

Samsung Galaxy and S7 video footage !"

There is no link there ☹

Anyway, thank you, everyone, for your help. I used Adobe Media Encoder and changed the files to 23.976 fps to match the Canon 7D footage and now the stuttering is gone, although the audio is slightly out of sync. All footage from all sources was recorded at 48k, so I don't know why it's out of sync. But it doesn't drift -- it's just off by a few frames, so I can easily adjust.

What a pain! I sent an email to Filmic Pro support -- maybe they have a workaround for the future.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:25:44 pm

The iPhone and other smartphones record variable frame rate...they aren't really shooting a steady 24fps. This is difficult for NLE's to deal with and is processor intensive, since they must create interpolated frames on the fly when necessary to match the sequence frame rate.

Convert the file in Adobe Media Encoder to Cineform, Apple Pro Res, or DNX HD/HR. These are high quality editing codecs.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:45:08 am

try compressor to prores should export with no re-syncing. some people are reporting handbrake isn't perfect.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:37:52 pm

[David Vance] "I used Filmic Pro and recorded at 24 fps at 50mb/s in the iPhone."

Very wise. No variable frame rate problems. But if you REALLY mean 24fps, there could be a frame rate mismatch with other 23.976 footage and a 23.976 timeline.

Additionally, what's the codec in which it was shot? Perhaps a transcode is in order.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]