FORUMS: list search recent posts

New MacBook Pro, Fs7 4k and bad playback performance

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamish Boyd
New MacBook Pro, Fs7 4k and bad playback performance
on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:54:59 am
Last Edited By Hamish Boyd on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:57:00 am

This may or may not be a Premiere thing, but from what I can deduce at this point it seems to be point this way.....

Specs: Latest MacBook Pro 2.9 with 16gig ram 1tb internal and extra GPU

Footage: fs7 4k footage

Premiere: Latest CC update

Cannot get smooth playback. gets choppy, fans go crazy. Just no smooth playback. Plays for a bit, chops up, plays a bit. etc.
Same project file, with footage on the same drive playing on my old iMac (2012) and its fine.
In process of speaking to apple. But running out door for shoots.
Have tested other fs7 footage I have. Same result. Have tested on internal drives and external drives.
Same result.
I just wonder if its the latest premiere update? iMac still one previous incremental update, 2017.0.1.
I would update that, but right now its the working machine, so I don't really want to corner myself with two machines not playing correctly.

Many thanks for any help.

EDIT: Forgot to note. Have tested footage in VLC player and seems to play fine. Fans don't go crazy.

Hamish

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: New MacBook Pro, Fs7 4k and bad playback performance
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:53:21 pm

What is the format and codec of the footage you're shooting on the FS7? If you're using the XAVC-L codec, you'll find that it is much more processor intensive than the XAVC-I.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Mar 9, 2017 at 6:07:37 pm

What if you place your fs7 footage in a ProRess 422 sequence ?

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 9, 2017 at 7:24:43 pm

I'll look into the exact codec used. Although have tested a couple of different fs7 footage for same result. Have tried different timeline settings.
The thing is my old iMac is happy playing all these files/timelines. Opening Same project same timelines etc.

If my brand new MacBook Pro can't beat a 2012 iMac it's going back to the shop. But I still haven't ruled out a premier prob.
When I get back to it I'll keep tinkering.
Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:31:29 pm

Sounds like what you really need to do is roll your laptop back to the previous version of Premiere, if you can. That would tell you whether the update is the culprit without borking your iMac.

Alternately, do a Carbon Copy Clone of your iMac, update to the new version, and then restore your system if it breaks.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 11, 2017 at 8:20:17 pm

Update :
Rolled back premiere version. No improvement.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 13, 2017 at 12:47:40 am

UPDATE 2:
Ran a test side by side with 2011 MacBook Pro, both running identical Premiere versions, Using same external T3 storage and project file / media. Playback the exact same clips. etc etc...

2011 MacBook Pro outperforms my new 2016 MacBook Pro in playback.

will take laptop back to Apple see where we go from there.
Hopefully I don't fall into a black hole between Apple and Adobe in where the problem lies.

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Mar 17, 2017 at 6:55:05 am

Any update? I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me mad. Can't find any solution for it.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 17, 2017 at 11:44:02 pm

Been on the road for work so haven't had a chance to do anything yet, but I'm taking it into Apple Store today.
Will post what happens.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 19, 2017 at 8:06:35 am

apple shop said they'd just swap it out for a new one. (without actually doing any tests or anything) So I'll prep a backup of it and return it tomorrow.
My gut says I'd be surprised if it was just this machine itself. But we'll see.

Return to posts index

Christopher Paul
on Mar 21, 2017 at 11:44:22 pm

My guess it that the FS-7 footage is the culprit. I now convert all my FS-7 footage to Cineform on ingest. Since you are on a Mac you would probably do the same but to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Mar 22, 2017 at 9:27:18 am

As I mentioned in my previous reply I am experiencing the same issues but I don't think it has to do with the FS7 files. For my last project I had to make proxies (prores 720P). Even when working with the proxies things are not working 100%. I mean it's fine but there is still some choppyness in playback and scrolling and things like the audiometer is lagging.

I doubt there is a hardware issue with the computer since other apps such as Final Cut are working very well and is super smooth.

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Mar 23, 2017 at 10:35:00 am

How did it go? Did you get a new one and is it better now?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 23, 2017 at 11:46:56 am

booked in for this Saturday. Ive been going round the clock with work of late. So just haven't had time to deal with it.
But apparently there is a machine I can swap it out for. I'll post here asap when I know how we go.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Mar 25, 2017 at 7:57:27 am

Ok brand new laptop swapped out at Apple Store. Just fired it up, cloned back from time machine and opened premiere. Playing out same footage.
As I suspected... same result. drop frames etc.

So here is where we stand: 2 different 2016 MacBook Pro machines. Identical specs - 2.9ghz 16g ram, radeon 460 1tb SSD internal running Premiere CC 2017.0.1 or 2017.0.2 struggle to play a single stream of 4k footage coming in from F5 and Fs7 cams.
mates 2011 MacBook Pro, while not completely perfect with it, Was, we both agreed MUCH better dealing with it. And my 2012 iMac is fine with it.
Same projects, same external drives, same footage same versions of Premiere.

So somewhere I fall in the gap between Adobe and Apple.
I can't seem to see a whole thread of people with same issues. Only Felix and I.
Seems to be a tonne of reviews suggesting new MacBook Pro should eat all this up, except this isn't what Im seeing.

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Mar 28, 2017 at 3:46:15 pm

This is so frustrating.

New OS X update today 10.12.4.

Problem remains.

Using 1080 proxies now. Just adding a single Lumetri on top slows everything down to the point it's unusable. It's just not the XAVC material that is working poorly :/

Final Cut is very smooth and fast. Too bad I can't stand the interface.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Apr 12, 2017 at 4:09:55 am

I haven't been able to do some more digging on this, just completely snowed with work.

but I did just try a straight encode speed race between my old 2012 iMac and my new 2016 MacBook Pro.

I HD proResHQ clip, encoding to a Vimeo 720p preset in media encoder.

And iMac beat it by about 20%.
This was encoding straight off the same Small Tree Server we have here.

Unbelievable. I just don't get why this MacBook Pro is performing the way it is. Even after replacing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 12, 2017 at 6:44:47 am

[Hamish Boyd] "Unbelievable. I just don't get why this MacBook Pro is performing the way it is. Even after replacing."

Because Apple cares more about battery life and nifty swipe bars than actual performance. They are solidly going after consumers...and really only caring how their stuff works with FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Apr 12, 2017 at 10:00:54 am

Look I get all the Mac walking away from pro etc etc.. and that whole debate.
But I've never had a Mac product significantly worse than one 5years before it.
It seems that something is wrong, even if the fact that this might not be the best MacBook they've built, its hard to draw a line from that, to performance this underwhelming given all their history till now.
Maybe I'm wrong... And I have bought my last Mac.

I think its an Adobe software on new Mac hardware issue. A guess.

The only thing in the back of my mind that says otherwise is that there isn't threads upon threads of the same thing, its seems to be a few of us talking about it.

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Apr 20, 2017 at 4:22:21 pm

New Premiere update today. Scrolling through 4K XAVC clips works fine now! ☺

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
on Apr 20, 2017 at 5:13:30 pm

Tried the following with new update:

XAVC-I 4K 25P clip in a timeline and a LUT applied in Lumetri. It plays fine in 1/2 resolution. A bit choppy at full.

Playing a 5K Red Raw file plays well at 1/4 resolution.

Prores 422HQ 4K 25P seems to be playing smoothly at full resolution.

Return to posts index

Hamish Boyd
on Apr 21, 2017 at 1:22:22 am

well thats good news. Will check at my end asap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]