FORUMS: list search recent posts

distracting lines in a video images slideshow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Purmensky
distracting lines in a video images slideshow
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:45:56 pm

Hello,
please bear with me as I don't have the right terminology, which is probably why I cannot google for the problem.

I created a video slideshow of static images for my client. The images in the slideshow have the Ken Burns effect - they change direction, zoom in or out, and slowly go across the screen. Each image is 4 sec long and they fade to the next one. What I am seeing on the TV are moving lines as the image moves, mainly around horizontal and vertical lines in the image. Like a chandelier with many small white chains gets very animated as the image slides across. This is not really visible on a monitor, but very much so on the HD TVs.

First, what is that problem called? Anybody?
Second, can this be prevented in any way?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: distracting lines in a video images slideshow
on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:25:57 pm

What are your sequence settings? Posting a screen shot would be helpful. FYI, I'm suspecting you're editing in a 1080i sequence rather than 1080p, so your output is interlaced rather than progessive. But, since your description was not very clear my guess may be inaccurate.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Martin Purmensky
on Mar 9, 2017 at 2:01:41 am

The setting below.
The video is playing on HD TV from this device https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM/... .

Not sure if I am explaining what is the problem. Any kind of line in the images gets a flickering edge. Visible on TV, not really on monitor. I assume it is something with the resolution.
I was able to capture it in Premiere at 100% preview. It is visible only when the video runs, though not when it stops. The rendered video has no problem like this on my computer but visibly does on the TV.
The images are higher res than 1920 x 1080.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 9, 2017 at 3:07:10 am

What you are seeing is "video fields" being displayed, which really should not be happening, since your source files were stills and your finished video in theory "progressive" (i.e. no fields). For the record, a fields mismatch will not show itself on a computer monitor, but mismatched fields will reveal themselves on a true video monitor or TV, hence one of the reasons why professional editors who deliver for broadcast, DVD, etc. always do their their online finishing and QC on a true broadcast monitor, or at the very least, a calibrated TV.

In any case, you have a few issues I've spotted that may or may not be related to the fields issues, and I suspect that somewhere in your workflow may have introduced interlacing. It's too complicated to deal with messaging back and forth, so call me and I'll be happy to help you. My number is three 10-729-seven nine 06 (Pacific time zone).

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]