Which format to export 50p 1920 x 1080 for best results

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Norman
Which format to export 50p 1920 x 1080 for best results
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:15:52 am
Last Edited By Alan Norman on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:24:24 am

Hi,

I am running CS 6 and having some issues with finding a good output quality for a one and a bit hour multicamera concert that I recorded.

I used to just output to 25 frames WMV but I wanted a better frame rate as this was only made in HD and unlike the 4k I had shot before, I needed to keep it as crisp as possible.

I tried to export in H.264 set at HD 1080p 25 but the pc fell over. I let it cool down and double rebooted and tried again with a lower frame rate of 12mps but sadly after 61 minutes it fell over and crashed.

The resulting file was just short of the concert but the video quality is SUPERB and very sharp.

The source material is in 50p 1920 x 1080 by the way.

I will try a lower frame rate today but I am confused as it also makes an MP4 track and the audio in AAC so nothing married together.

I have a powerful i7 system with 32 meg of ram and fast video card and ssd boot drive and two data HD but I am unable to get a successful high quality export.

Any suggestions please.

I should ALSO mention as the concert is running about 1 hour 20 minutes, I am restricted to normal DVD for my work so I decided to go for Dual layer which in WMV worked ok but the quality is not so hot. In H.264 , I am setting the frame rate to be well under the 8.5gb size and nearer to 7GB.

Are there any issues with laptops or PC's running Dual layer?

Any advice or clearer understanding of a good export wrapper and quality would be very welcome please as I am getting really desperate now.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Which format to export 50p 1920 x 1080 for best results
on Mar 8, 2017 at 3:27:27 pm

Hi Alan,

Seems like you are in a PAL area? Never go below 25fps then, that is the video standard (or 24p if suitable). If the computer is crashing, failing to export, lowering the frame rate is not the answer, you have bigger issues.

Are you editing the 50p clips in 50p Sequence? Try moving them to a 25p Sequence. Will look the same, maybe it will help with the export to 25p? Create a new sequence at 25p, then copy/paste entire contents of 50p sequence to 25p sequence.

What are the export settings? A screen shot of export settings panel will be helpful, maybe we will see something amiss in the settings used.

Delivery - are you trying to create a regular "DVD" or just using DVD media for data? If making a DVD for people to play in DVD players, there is ONE format you can use and that is MPEG-2 DVD. Period. If you supply anything else to Encore (or any DVD authoring software) it WILL transcode the video to MPEG-2 anyway, that is the only legal format for the DVD specification.

No need for dual-layer media for 80 minutes of video (if making an actual DVD). Just encode at bit rate of 7.0 and it will fit. Dual-layer discs add a lot of complexity/potential headaches in the authoring process.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alan Norman
on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:47:58 pm

Thank you Jeff for the reply.

Just in case of any misunderstanding - I am saving to the Hard Disc and not interested in making a DVD in a conventional sense - just a data DVD after export or transfer to memory stick.

The source is 50p and I seem to be confined to 25 frame in HD and cannot get a 50p saving format but I suppose 25 frames is ok.

At the moment I am finding WMV at a bit rate of 10 (max that I can get ) is quite good quality but I want even higher quality in the export to my Hard disk. This makes a files of just under 6 gig on the hard disk and look ok but not stunning

I am making a DVD just for Data from my HD so anything up to 8.5GB. It's too big to go onto a 4.7gig DVD to get the quality I need..

So I tried some other ones and I though that H,264 would be great but it's proving tricky and the pc crashes after 60 minutes.

It is making part of the video but with separate audio file but perhaps this is due to not finishing the complete export (it makes M4V and aac files)

So what is the possible alternatives to get a great high res export to the Hard Disc and up to about 7.5 gig without the PC crashing ?.

Am I trying to push this too hard for my system ?

Does someone know about export settings that might be more comfortable and also get the best quality perhaps from some projects they have experienced please ?

I will look at your suggestion of a new sequence but the KEY QUESTION is this.

What is the best output format to export this project of 50p onto the Hard Disc with a maximum file size of just below 8 gig lets say, but NOT in WMV and in 1920 HD either 50 frames or at worse 25 frames.

Apologies if the way I wrote my question caused any confusion.

Regards,

Alan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:09:34 pm

Hi Alan,

My understanding of the H.264 export from Premiere is that it does initially create two files while encoding, and then at the end combines audio and video into the single .mp4 file. You're seeing two files because it crashed before finishing.

The crashing is not normal - rather than compromising on a different format, I'd want to know WHY I can't export H.264 format. What is the intended usage of said file?

Mac users will not be able to read .wmv

For distribution/sharing or online posting, H.264 is the universal standard these days - best combo of quality, file size, and wide compatibility.

Try this calculator for estimated file size, basically need to know bit rate and duration I guess to arrive at size.

As for 50fps export, you ought to be able to configure that easily -

Just keep in mind that for a given bit rate, do you want to compress 50 frames each second, or 25 - half as much? Meaning to maintain same quality at 50fps might need TWICE the data rate as 25fps = file twice as big. If not fast action footage, then viewer may never know the difference.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]