FORUMS: list search recent posts

Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 Video Footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Aghy
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 Video Footage
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:01:49 am

I recorded some vids on a Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 phones (3840x2160, mp4). Im trying to import the footage into Adobe Premiere CC (Latest version, updated 3/7/17. On Windows 10 Home). The videos import in without audio. Does Premiere not handle these files? If I need to encode via Adobe Media Encoder, any suggestion on settings to retain dimensions / quality?

I'm also having the same problem with Mp4 files downloaded from internet (video is fine but no audio).

Any suggestions?

Here is link with S6, S7 and internet video: https://we.tl/Anp2o8ICpH

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 Video Footage
on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:10:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:28:18 pm

I'm not going to look at video where the web site forces me to sign up or the privilege of looking at it. Sorry. It ain't happening.

But based on your description, I'm going to assume that you just picked up the phone and started shooting, blissfully ignorant that you did yourself ABSOLUTELY NO favors by doing so.

Cel phone video can have muxed audio -- the audio is buried in the video. Media players may be able to deal with it, but not PP -- it needs a real audio track. You can use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode it to a proper media container & codec for editing in PP.... but there is almost certainly another -- and worse -- problem.

Here's the other problem: cel phone video is almost always recorded at a variable frame rate. PP needs a FIXED frame rate. You can do this using AME, but once it's in PP you will see the video speed up & slow down a bit, and it won't sync up with the audio track. Not good, huh?

Now, there are phone apps that correct these lamentable conditions before you even shoot. You select the appropriate frame rate, H&V dimensions, media container, codec and audio specs. You get video that can actually be used in something other than iMovie or its Windows counterpart. Nice!

My suggestion is to get one of those phone camera apps & re-shoot. Make life easier on yourself. If you don't, you'll have headaches galore, you'll have to jump through many software hoops to correct it, or you'll have to endure a lousy result. Take your pick of one of these three regrettable situations.

You know those iPhone commercials that show you spectacular video "shot on an iPhone"? Well, they WERE shot on an iPhone -- an iPhone using one of the apps mentioned above. They had no problems... and it didn't hurt they were shot by pros, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Aghy
on Mar 8, 2017 at 5:51:43 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I tested the link twice, aside from clicking "I Agree", there is no email sign up needed to download the file. Anyways, if there is an easier service for sharing content, please let me know.

Correct, I just picked highest quality video size and started shooting. Didn't realize there are variable frame rates.

Unfortunately, this was a trip out of the country. So I can not reshoot. But good to know that there are apps for next time.

Any suggestions for what to encode media with to retain quality / size and give Premiere an easy time to edit with? Ill likely export out a 1920 x 1080 video, but it would be nice to retain the larger dimensions for cropping into footage. And a more general question: Is there a common format that Premiere prefers to work with? For example, with FCP, I recall Apple ProRes 422 was usually a safe bet for encoding footage.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:52:14 pm

[Michael Aghy] "...with FCP, I recall Apple ProRes 422 was usually a safe bet for encoding footage."

...and If you're on a Mac, it still is! I'd use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the footage to Prores. PP will play very nicely with it. Just don't expect your audio to stay synced with your video. No one can tell how far off it will get, but it almost surely will happen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Aghy
on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:56:25 pm

Ok, great, thanks. I guess thats best I can hope for.

I have a mac and pc. Can use either for editing but any suggestions on what to encode on a windows machine? What does Premiere prefer? AVI? Unfortunately, most the presets I tried wanted to shrink the video down to 1920 x 1080 and didn't allow me to retain size.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2017 at 7:24:12 pm

There's a free ProRes READER -- not encoder, mind you -- for QT 7 Win.

Problem is, I don't know if the most recent versions of PP even use Apple's QT. I'm pretty sure Adobe created its own version to overcome shortcomings in Apple's offering.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:57:59 pm

Hi Michael,

Dave covered the issues with variable frame rates. We hope to add support VFR down the road though I can't promise a date. We know that variable frame rate footage isn't going away ☺

For the time being, I'd recommend using handbrake to transcode your files into a constant frame rate. This should fix your audio issues. If not, let us know. Below shows the steps on how to do this:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles...

For shooting footage in the future. Filmic Pro is a pretty awesome app. They give you lots of control when shooting and also allow you to record at a constant frame rate. Here's a link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.filmic.filmicpro&hl=en

Hope this helps!

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Aghy
on Mar 8, 2017 at 7:42:35 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Still dreaming of that day where you just drag the footage into Premiere and started editing :)

Return to posts index

Michael Aghy
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:26:25 pm

I settled on transcoding everything using mpeg streamclip into H264 1920 x 1080 MOV files. Really slow process and files still had trouble playing smoothly in Premiere (even with 1/4 resolution, 16GB ram, usb 3.0 drive), especially if effects were applied. But it worked out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]