<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Hume
Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.2 Terrible Lag issues on fast Macbook Pro
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:44:14 pm
Last Edited By Joshua Hume on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:45:31 pm

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.2 - 11.0.2 (47) Build
macOS Sierra
Version 10.12.3 (16D32)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Please help! My playback is SO laggy and choppy that I cannot edit. The only way to get it to play smoothly is to render in-out, which is slowing me down to the point where I may actually be fired from my current gig (I'm freelance).

Working with 4k footage, multicam proxies done with Quicktime ProRes (proxy). Quality set at 1/4. I realize on a laptop I should expect some hiccups, but not to the point where I can't actually work...

I did an online chat with Adobe support, and he/she tried to install a new Invidia driver, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Any thoughts?

Please Please help!

thanks

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.2 Terrible Lag issues on fast Macbook Pro
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:50:21 pm

Hi Joshua,

A 2013 MBP is probably past its prime for 4K, but you should still be able to get a ok playback without filters/color correction.
The second issue would be drive speed. 4K multicam will require a solid Raid drive to keep up.

Vince

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Joshua Hume
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:56:11 pm

Thanks Vince,
I forgot to mention I'm using a Glyph Technologies 4TB Studio S4000 External Drive, which has a spin speed of 7200rpm. We have this project on several other computers - mac TrashCans - and of course it runs very well there.

I know my machine is a bit slow for this, but I can't imagine it should be to the point where I can't actually work... especially since we're using Quicktime ProRes proxies.

any other ideas beyond insignificant computer power?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:23:08 pm

Hi Joshua,

That's still a single drive, it might be worth checking that speed with the Aja system check: https://www.aja.com/products/aja-system-test

It's rated at 184 MB/s, but that means a perfect system with an empty drive.

Also, check the data rate of the files you are playing with, keeping in mind that each layer/track doubles that speed requirement.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Joshua Hume
on Mar 10, 2017 at 3:36:50 pm

For future reference, here is what fixed the problem:

We are using 4K, and have made proxies using ProRes Proxy. One of the first things I did to troubleshoot the lag issues was verify that the proxies were attached. BUT what I did not know is that there is a setting under Preferences > Media that says "Enable Proxies." If this is not checked, even though the proxies are attached, they will not be used.

Two calls to Adobe support, multiple forum posts and searches, and this never came up. LOL.

It's working perfectly now.

Wish there was some indication in the timeline, or elsewhere, showing which media you are actually using!

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Mar 16, 2017 at 6:02:18 pm

Hi Joshua,

I agree there could be better ways to indicate of a proxy file is being used or not. One thing that might be helpful to do if you're not doing so already, is to add the "Toggle Proxies" button to your transport controls. If you do this, there's no need to go into the Preferences menu and it also provides an indication when proxies are enabled by displaying the proxy button in blue.

Here's a tutorial on how to customize button layout

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/buttons-playback-premiere-pro/

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]