FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Not Default Export Source Range to "Entire Sequence?" Why must snapping be enabled in general prefs?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid VanVoris
Why Not Default Export Source Range to "Entire Sequence?" Why must snapping be enabled in general prefs?
on Mar 7, 2017 at 2:51:02 am

Dear Adobe,

Why Is The Default of Export Media Not Source Range to "Entire Sequence?"

Mostly I am exporting my entire project and constantly have to change this setting to entire sequence . If I want to output a portion of my project, I don't mind changing it to in and out then.

Also, why is there a general preferences check box for "Snap playhead in Timeline when snapping is enabled?"

Sorry, I don't get this. Why couldn't the user just deselect snapping or use the keyboard shortcut to turn snapping on or off? If I turn on snapping, I'm not just kidding. I really wanted snapping turned on. What is the true use/function of this preference setting?

Thanks for your time answering these.

Reid VanVoris
e-Mail: r1108@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why Not Default Export Source Range to "Entire Sequence?" Why must snapping be enabled in general prefs?
on Mar 7, 2017 at 3:40:38 pm

[Reid VanVoris] "What is the true use/function of this preference setting?"

On some days, I use the snapping on a good two-dozen timelines. You find a precise time ONCE. You put the in or out point of a clip at that precise time. You never have to worry about finding it again.

Incidentally, I've NEVER had to worry about PP exporting anything but the timeline. I don't have to set an in & out point. Of course, I've never messed with it in preferences. Perhaps you have.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Reid VanVoris
Re: Why Not Default Export Source Range to "Entire Sequence?" Why must snapping be enabled in general prefs?
on Mar 7, 2017 at 5:44:44 pm

Dear Dave,

Thanks for responding.

What I'm referring to are 2 things. First, in Preferences>General there is a check box that says to "enable snapping when snapping is turned on." The "snapping" on/off button is in the track header of the Premiere Pro timeline. It looks like a small horseshoe magnet. When this button is active, the playhead snaps to the head and tail of clips on the timeline and to markers. If the Preferences>General check box is not checked, no snapping occurs, no matter if the track header button is active or not. The check box inside preferences>general seems redundant and even awkward, since if I enable snapping in the track header, I want snapping to occur. I didn't do it by accident. I wasn't kidding. I really wanted snapping to function, but if it's not checked inside preferences>general then it does not snap, until it is checked. Seems to me like the preferences check box is not needed and a little annoying at times. My question is, why is it even there? What's it for?

Now the "Select Range>Entire Sequence" issue is in File>Export>Media. The media encoder window export source range is defaulted to "sequence in to out." Unless most people are outputting just portions of their projects, sort of as a test, prior to outputting the entire project, I think the source range should be defaulted to "entire sequence," as I find myself having to change this setting to export my finished projects every time before I export. What say you?

Any one from Adobe have answers?

Reid VanVoris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2017 at 6:02:07 pm

It seems to me that you're worrying about things that don't need to be worried about.
  • Don't mess with the snapping in preferences. Leave it set to the default.
  • PP defaults to defining the out point of the last clip in any sequence as the sequence's out point unless the user sets in and out points in the sequence. If you don't do that, you export the whole sequence.

I don't get it -- what's wrong?
If you want to get your feathers ruffled about something in PP, why don't you make it something that's actually worthwhile, like one of the many bugs?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Reid VanVoris
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:11:50 pm

Wow Dave,

I found your reply to be unnecessarily rude.

Not be be chippy right back at you, but do you actually edit anything, ever? Snapping is very convenient. It does need the option of being turned on and off occasionally. There is a button for that in the Timeline interface and a keyboard shortcut. I was just wondering why it's defaulted to "off" in general preferences and needs to be activated for the on/off function in the Timeline to work. I was just wondering why that pref existed and whether or not I might be missing a functionality that might help me by knowing.

I still don't think you understand what I was asking and why, but never mind. Sorry to bother you.

Next time, if a post annoys you, please just don't answer it.

Thanks.

Reid VanVoris

Return to posts index

Michael Rothenberg
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:44:02 pm

Hey Reid, I have the same issue with the Source Range default. With later versions of AME, the setting is not even visible when you're looking at your queue; it's only findable when you click on the individual preset setting of each item in the queue.

Normally Adobe's settings make sense to me but here I really don't understand why "Entire Sequence" is not the default. It's burned me several times, especially when I quickly post a viewing copy and later find it's only a fragment of the cut. Ideally I'd love users to be able to set their own Source Range default in AME's settings.

I've posted a feature request to Adobe and encourage you to do the same.

Mike

Michael Rothenberg
Peak Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]