FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow motion tips?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Godwin
Slow motion tips?
on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:35:55 pm

I'm new to Adobe Premiere Pro and to video editing in general.

When I slow down 60fps sample footage to 40% real-time, it ends up more choppy than I would expect. I do recognize that slowed-down footage will always be more choppy than if it was played real-time. I am just surprised how choppy it is considering that 40% of 60fps should be equivalent to 24fps.

See a short example clip here (1 second real-time -> 2 seconds 40% speed -> 3 seconds real-time). I have other clips in which the choppiness is even more obvious, but this one's short.

I am using Adobe Premier Pro CC 2014, which doesn't have the Optical Flow option. I'm finding that using Frame Blend doesn't look too great. I'm exporting in 60fps in case that makes a difference.

Is there something I can do to improve this, or do I have unrealistic expectations? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Slow motion tips?
on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:11:29 pm

This is something to think about....

thanks to mercury...dropping at 60fps clip into a 30fps sequence doesn't make the difference you'd expect as mercury will interpret the clip and still play it at 100% speed of sequence. Thus, slowing down the clip at the point you are subject to all the choppiness that would entail....

try this...

take 60 fps clip in the project panel and duplicate it (rename uniquely so you know what's what).
Modify > interpret FPS to be 1/2 the speed.

Now drop that into a 30 FPS sequence

now you are seeing the true nature and difference of 60 frames captured...not "counteracted" by the smart tech of the Mercury engine.

for there you can do some time retiming and have the extra fidelity to work with....

that help?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Sean Godwin
on Mar 6, 2017 at 6:04:57 pm

Hi Alex,

That worked great! Thanks so much.

I guess as a follow-up, I would ask: is it possible to work in a project with non-choppy slow motion clips interspersed among realtime 60fps footage, or do I have to use a 30fps timeline? I ask because using a 30fps timeline means I can't use 60fps realtime footage (if I want to) or reduce speed to something other than 50% (say, 40% [24fps]).

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Mar 6, 2017 at 6:54:37 pm

Sure you can....

that's why I suggested you duplicate the clip in the project panel to make the 1/2 fps instances from....

if you drop 60 fps in a 30 fps timeline....PPro mecury will still play it at 100% speed of the timeline...(it will play normally)...

In the duplicated project media for slow mo (again duplicating and interpreting media in the proj panel, not files on the HD)....if you start with the 1/2 speed interpreted clips...you can still slow it down or speed it up in sequence as well...but since you're already at 50%.... it's wouldn't be setting that to 40% it be more like 80%...because as far as the sequence is concerned, those interpreted clips are playing at 100% speed....see what I'm saying?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]