FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Playback issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie DeHaan
Video Playback issues
on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:28:29 pm

I'm having an issue with playback in premiere pro cc. The video playback is playing at about half speed, but the audio is playing fine. When i hit the spacebar, the audio sounds totally normal but the video is slow. When it hit the spacebar again, the video then jumps forward to where it is actually supposed to be. Any idea what this could be from?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Video Playback issues
on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:43:01 pm

sounds like a cpu or hard disk bottleneck. does the problem go away if you change preview to 1/8 or transcode to cineform?
what does your cpu/gpu usuage say? what is your hard drive? what video codec are you playing? you can view details with free mediainfo software.

Return to posts index

Julie DeHaan
on Mar 5, 2017 at 11:27:07 pm

Nothing changes if i change the preview to 1/8 or cineform.

If i open my activity monitor to view my CPU usage and start the playback in premiere, it shows between 30-40% being used. I don't know much in this regard so i don't know what that means exactly. I also only have about a 3rd of my fusion drive full so i don't think that a part of the issue.

Here's a screenshot of all the specs on my computer.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 5, 2017 at 11:35:02 pm

sounds like a full hard drive. they get slower when filled up.
try converting your videos to proxies(prores LT), see if that fixes your issue. video tutorial below from adobe.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html

we still don't know what type of video you are trying to playback. I'm assuming its more than 30MB/sec bitrate that's why I suggested prores LT proxy(5MB/sec).

Return to posts index

Julie DeHaan
on Mar 12, 2017 at 4:48:50 pm

Its an mp4. H.264, AAC Codec 1:36:33 in length.
If i export it through quicktime and then use that file in premiere, everything is fine.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 6, 2017 at 1:45:39 am

That's an underpowered machine if you are trying to play back camera native footage....or H.264 or AVCHD. 8GB of RAM is too low, need at least 16GB. The 2GB RAM on the GPU is OK, but not the best. You might need to convert the footage to an easier to edit codec, like ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Mar 6, 2017 at 2:31:04 am

Like Shane said, underpowered machine.
i7 is much, much better for video editing. At least 16 GB RAM. 24 is better.
I'd recommend a more powerful 4 GB GPU.
And, are you playing footage form your internal OS drive? For best performance, store your media on external Thunderbolt RAID 5 array. Like a Pegasus R4/R6 or the OWC array.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]