FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speech Analysis On Premiere CC 2017 Workaround

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karina Vidal
Speech Analysis On Premiere CC 2017 Workaround
on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:25:29 pm

Hey guys!

A couple weeks ago I bumped into a post issue for a documentary I've been assisting/editing. The whole time I'd been working with it I'd been using timecode from transcripts to find bites - this is one of those 160 hours of footage with 4-5 hour interviews that carry a lot of heavy, long-winded text bites. An editor just joined the project and he was used to using speech analysis in AVID but we're cutting on Premiere. He mentioned Premiere used to have a speech analysis feature that I couldn't find in 2017, so after a lot of research and talking to the support team at Adobe, I finally managed to use speech analysis again and have it even work on CC 2017, I know there's a whole lot of people out there struggling with the same issue so here's how I did it in case it helps anyone else.

First, I downloaded Premiere 2014, the last version that had the speech analysis feature. You can find this under the ''Previous Versions'' section in your creative cloud drop down menu:

(Premiere 2014 isn't shown on my screenshot because I already have it installed)

When you install this version it doesn't remove which ever newer version you are using and I found out you can actually run both versions at the same time! Which you will need for this.

As some of you know, you can use the video file to attach the script but if you're working with long interviews like me, you probably want to stick to the wave files. To find these I unlinked the interview files and selected reveal in finder for the interviewee mic:

Then I imported the wave files I needed to analyze with speech analysis and downloaded my transcripts from google docs as plain text. I ran the program and it send it to Media Encoder 2014 which downloaded automatically with Premiere.

After it was done encoding, it was done! The script was attached to my wave file's metadata and it automatically showed up on Premiere 2017 even though it doesn't have the feature anymore. You don't need to re-import anything or even online/offline the file, it just pops up:

Pretty cool huh?

Karina

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Speech Analysis On Premiere CC 2017 Workaround
on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:15:32 pm

Very nice!!!

Even though the feature isn't currently implemented...the XMP metadata is still supported...and this what allows your workflow to work!!!

Thanks for the detailed step by step!!!

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
on May 21, 2017 at 8:04:49 pm

Thank you so much for this! It is exactly the fix I'm looking for. :)

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed
http://www.ohmyproductions.net

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 22, 2017 at 2:10:34 am

Hopefully in the very near future, this workaround won't be necessary due to the impending arrival of this premiere plugin:

https://www.digitalanarchy.com/demos/transcriptive.html

Adobe Premiere 2017.1
Windows 10 Pro
Samsung SSD 850 EVO system
Samsung SSD 850 EVO Adobe cache
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OWC Thunderbay 12t x 2 in Raid10 configuration (thru Storage Spaces and Disk Management)

Return to posts index

Grant Van Zutphen
on Nov 10, 2017 at 2:59:23 am

I can confirm Transcriptive works like a charm. I've only tested it with Speechmatics as the transcription engine, but it's fast and accuracte.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]