FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting markers to bespoke sequences

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Vanier
Exporting markers to bespoke sequences
on Feb 28, 2017 at 6:11:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do something quite specific with Markers and can't find any answers online so thought I'd ask here.
I need to build 20 different films each with 10 sections in them and then use those sections as modular elements to create new videos made up of those different sections from the 20 videos. In total, we're looking at about 2000 different videos each made from a different selection of the 20 original videos. With me so far......?
Doing this manually will be a pain so I'm trying to work out if there's a way to use markers with in and out points to mark each of the sections and then select those markers and drag them onto a separate sequence. Basically creating a way to drag and drop each of the sections.
I could export out each of the 200 sections as separate clips but I figured using either the markers of perhaps a groovy extension would be more efficient.
I'm open to other suggestions too, let me know if you can think of a way to automate the whole process (assuming that we created a database of each of the 2000 films and what sections they were made from)
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Exporting markers to bespoke sequences
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:48:52 pm

I personally like your idea of exporting different scenes as self-contained elements and assembling your various compilations with those. That's what I'd do... I suspect any more sophisticated method will wind up being a waste if your time rather than a timesaver.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2017 at 10:33:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:57:45 pm

I'm with David. Export those 200 clips. Import them into your video-making project. When the time comes to make the videos here's what you have to know:

197 / 014 / 087 / 102 / 006 / 128 / 147 / 053 / 071 / 175

Ten clips. In order. Just add 'em to the timeline one after another. Export. Done. The edit couldn't be simpler.

The tough part: managing the clip order. But you'd have to do that either way, so I presume you have a system worked out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Vanier
on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:01:49 am

Thanks, Dave and David,

sounds like that might be the best idea. It's still gonna take an exceedingly long time which is the bit I'm trying to avoid.
If anyone can think of a way to speed up this process I'd be very happy to hear it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2017 at 3:56:53 pm

Well, what you're proposing to do takes a lot of work. 2000 videos? That's no cakewalk.

It's not the exporting that's tough, it's the ORGANIZATION. We have only the vaguest notion of what you're doing. So the organization falls to you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:52:59 pm

If you're being paid by the hour you're in luck... If you made a flat rate deal you're probably hosed...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Phil Vanier
on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:56:23 pm

Well I'm actually trying to work out how much time to budget for as we haven't started the job yet. Obviously the organization is gonna be key but it's all about how to estimate how long it's gonna take to ping out these 2000 individual videos. If there's a way to automate it it's gonna be a lot cheaper than having to do it manually. The QC time alone is gonna be horrendous!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:07:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 2, 2017 at 6:51:21 pm

[Phil Vanier] "If there's a way to automate it it's gonna be a lot cheaper than having to do it manually."

I don't know how to automate it, but doing it manually doesn't mean you have to hang around while the real grunt work is being done.

Once you have the project set up and the 200 clips available, I figure it's 5 minutes per video. That's 92 videos in an 8-hour day. At the end of the day, you export them all via Adobe Media Encoder, which does batch encoding. I'm guessin' 24 days to edit & export all 2000, with some time included for little oopsies. Not big ones.

Then somebody has to watch 'em all. And you could have machine problems... count on that one. Hope you have backup systems.

I'd like to know what genius thought this project up. My guess is it's some millenial Marketing Weasel who's WAY more at home in the Adobe Marketing Cloud (as opposed to Adobe Creative Cloud) with no clue what it takes, who spends the day shoveling tiny-piddly-ass files from one folder to another and who's convinced, "gee-golly, you can automate anything!"

In terms of files and computational power, ain't nothin' bigger than high-quality, high-resolution video. Okay, there's the work done by cosmologists who simulate what happens when galaxies collide, but they don't tend to think like Pollyana. Unlike Marketing Weasels, who do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]