FORUMS: list search recent posts

Character limits for reels or file names

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helen Cho
Character limits for reels or file names
on Feb 26, 2017 at 6:50:38 pm

Are there character limits for reels or file names? I recall it being an issue in the past, where reel names would be truncated in the EDL, but was wondering if it's still something to be concerned about. Just trying to think ahead to see if this will cause any issues down the feature film pipeline.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Character limits for reels or file names
on Feb 26, 2017 at 7:53:55 pm

[Helen Cho] "I recall it being an issue in the past, where reel names would be truncated in the EDL, but was wondering if it's still something to be concerned about."

Are EDL's a part of your post workflow? Are you creating your own reel names? The CMX 3600 standard for EDL's use 8 character reel names and if I remember correctly the newer pro cameras create 8 character reel names.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 26, 2017 at 11:52:19 pm

For EDL's it is a concern, yes.

EDLs were created for old linear edit controllers. Avid's List Tool (formerly EDL Manager) has options that allow longer clip/file names, but these are not standard CMX 3600 EDLs.

Return to posts index

Helen Cho
on Feb 27, 2017 at 12:27:33 am

What about the ability to select the 32-character names check-box in the EDL Export Settings (CMX 3600) dialogue box in Premiere? Or will that create any issues?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 27, 2017 at 5:14:33 am

[Helen Cho] "What about the ability to select the 32-character names check-box in the EDL Export Settings (CMX 3600) dialogue box in Premiere? Or will that create any issues?"

Depends on the software that would be reading the created EDL. Are EDL's part of your post workflow? Is there a need for 32 character reel names and why?

Return to posts index

Helen Cho
on Feb 27, 2017 at 1:50:27 pm

I'm not sure whether EDLs will be part of the workflow down the line, since I'm not sure which post house this film will be going to. Just want to be careful just in case.

Unfortunately, I came late onto this project and all of the tape names were already assigned with names around 32 characters by someone else. Should I go and try to rename them?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 27, 2017 at 3:12:28 pm

If the project is on the way already then you do not want to change any metadata. This is one of those things one would need to figure out in pre-production.

Return to posts index

Helen Cho
on Feb 27, 2017 at 9:26:02 pm

Just one more question: Are EDLs still commonly used?

For other projects I've done in the past, they've usually asked for one master ProRes HQ and a XML file for backup, so I haven't dealt with this workflow before, but was just wondering if I should try to prepare for all contingencies.

Do XMLs also have any naming constraints? Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]