FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to reconnect PPro media on new external hard-drive?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
How to reconnect PPro media on new external hard-drive?
on Feb 24, 2017 at 3:50:52 am

I've been using a personal external hard-drive at my job as a video producer and multimedia editor at a think tank. (I won't make that mistake again, and started doing it for a variety of reasons of expediency and convenience. ) Anyway, I got another job recently and am trying to prepare things for my successor here before leaving. I'm planning to take my personal hard-drive with me, and before I depart transfer all my capture video and other multimedia files on to a new external hard-drive owned by my employer. I have a lot of PPro CC and AFX CC projects on my work MacBook Pro, which will stay here with my soon-to-be ex-employer. Anyway, after I make this transfer of media to a new hard-drive, I want to reconnect all the media so my PPro and AFX projects will work for the new person. Can anyone offer any quick tips on the best way to quickly reconnect all the media for my different projects? There are quite a few of them. Any advice or guidance here would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Foster
Re: How to reconnect PPro media on new external hard-drive?
on Feb 24, 2017 at 5:08:24 am

You could clone (not just copy) your hard drive contents (with something like Super Duper or Carbon Clone) to the new external. Make sure the new drive has the EXACT same name as your old drive that you're taking with you. When the new drive is connected to the Mac, you shouldn't have to relink or reconnect anything.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 24, 2017 at 11:38:09 am

At the very least....

make a main folder that represents your drive...

then copy the hierarchy (folder structure) into that folder....

you may have to relink....

but at least the paths will make sense...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Feb 27, 2017 at 4:45:49 am

Thanks very much Alex and David. I do have everything in one work folder with lots and lots of subfolders. Does anyone else have a preference between the two approaches mentioned by Alex and David, copying the folder structure normally and re-linking, versus cloning the harddrive using software like those apps David mentioned?

I really have only a few key projects the new person will likely use or care about?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]