FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suite editing off of shared server, but sharing projects super slow - is this normal?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ryan
Suite editing off of shared server, but sharing projects super slow - is this normal?
on Feb 23, 2017 at 11:00:06 pm

Hey fellow grazers,

I'm really hoping some of you are working in the same situation and can tell me that my situation is not supposed to be normal. We can't practically share projects among workstations, even though all media is on a common server.

I direct a small video production department for a group of about 4 companies. We have 7 editing seats, and are about to expand to 10. We are using the CC suite, running on HP Z820's. Workstations are well-equipped: a combination of Quadro & Titan cards, 128GB RAM each, 2 8-core processors each, etc. All of our media is stored on a Studio Network Solutions EVO (2013 era), with a combination of SAN and NAS drives.

When the system was installed and configured, we were told that Premiere didn't work well with having it's scratch disk set on the EVO, so each workstation has it's own scratch disk set locally on a local RAID or fast internal drive.

Here's the problem: The EVO works fine for ingesting and editing, but when we try to hand off a project from one workstation to the next, it takes years to get it up and running on the new machine. Part of the reason we bought in to the media server idea is so that we could edit "any project, any time, anywhere." However, in daily life, that is not where we are.

Anytime a project is built on one machine, and we decide (for whatever reason) to pull it up on another, it takes eons to reconnect media and generate peak files. Is this normal? Is everyone in a shared media environment just putting up with this? Small projects with 30 clips & 30 min of audio can take 8-10 minutes to pull up on another computer. Large projects with 100's of clips can take 20+ minutes. It doesn't seem practical to coordinate project handoffs to always occur at lunch time or the end of the day. I guess I'm living in la la land, but I always thought one editor was supposed to be able to say to the other "having trouble with the color on that clip? Close it out real quick and I'll open it up on my machine and fix it for you."

On top of that, any of our assets that aren't video (audio, graphics, etc.) are stored on the NAS portion of EVO, which means they have an IP address associated with them. When we pull up a project on a different machine, it tries to find all those assets on an IP address that doesn't exist, so we have to relink everything to EVO's IP address for the new machine.

What am I missing here? Is this normal? Or do we have serious unidentified bottlenecks?

Nick

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Suite editing off of shared server, but sharing projects super slow - is this normal?
on Feb 24, 2017 at 12:10:15 am

[Nick Ryan] "Anytime a project is built on one machine, and we decide (for whatever reason) to pull it up on another, it takes eons to reconnect media and generate peak files. Is this normal? Is everyone in a shared media environment just putting up with this? "

That's because each move requires the cache/peak files to be regenerated since they are local. Try setting all machines to a common NAS location and see what happens.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]