FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create unique file names for AVCHD footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helen Cho
How to create unique file names for AVCHD footage
on Feb 21, 2017 at 7:56:06 pm

I'm importing footage into a project file for a feature-length film. The files are AVCHD and I think they were shot on either the C100 or C300 (the director is unsure which). We're hoping to edit everything natively.

The files load in fine, but I noticed that all of the many reels have clips with generic names (e.g., 00001.MTS, 00002.MTS, etc).

From my knowledge, each clip needs to have a unique file name, timecode and come from a unique reel/tape # to preserve the link back to the original AVCHD file structure.

Does anyone have a good workaround for this? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jo Liesendahl
Re: How to create unique file names for AVCHD footage
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:21:02 pm

Hi Helen,

what about using Prelude?
There you can rename your clips bin for bin, and then send the project to Premiere.
Because Prelude makes unique IDs in xmp (choose in settings), your clips will be found after relinking automatically.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:21:09 pm

Haven't used those cameras. Does each media unit come with a folder/file structure?

If so, I'd create individual folders for each media unit and copy the full folder/file structure into each. That way I'd have a unique top folder for each media unit.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2017 at 11:11:42 pm

C100...most likely. C300 shoots XDCAM MXF files.

The only work around for this is to convert all the footage to a high resolution "Digital Intermediate" that you then use as master files. So you'd convert the footage to ProRes 422 or DNxHD 175 and THOSE would become the new master files that you either edit, or make proxies to edit from and then relink to later (something we do on a couple reality shows I work on).

There is no way to rename the master files themselves and have it work, as metadata is embedded in various files in the camera archives. AVCHD sucks all around.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 22, 2017 at 4:54:15 pm

In a word, Prelude. Rename them however you want on ingest and work with them from there. Original filename will remain for access anytime.

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Feb 23, 2017 at 5:41:45 am

My workflow is slowly being phased out as I barely use cameras generating AVCHD anymore. But, what I found worked best, and I didn't need the metadata, is to merge files using "MTSmerge" or terminal for all spanned files, then rename and re-wrap, using clipwrap the .mts files to h264 .mp4. Same file size and Premiere, I read somewhere, had issue with .mts, but, not .mp4 so the performance is better too. My experience was better performance in a 3 camera multi-cam edit. YMMV.

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer
http://www.phillip-todd.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]