FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who's right? Me or the "professional videographer"?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Who's right? Me or the "professional videographer"?
on Feb 21, 2017 at 3:22:17 pm

No matter how much I try to get along online I always seem to get into arguments. Help me settle this one. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Some guy put up an image I'll include here and asked what was causing his problem. I immediately saw a problem with his shutter speed and flourescent lighting causing the white and dark banding. This other guy claimed it was that PLUS rolling shutter. I don't see rolling shutter in this picture. Is he correct or can I tear him a new one?
Warning: Semi NSFW, but not that bad.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Who's right? Me or the "professional videographer"?
on Feb 21, 2017 at 3:57:05 pm

Depending on the situation/camera/camera settings/someone's mom it can be a combination of both. Rolling shutter can be manifested in other ways than smearing images during fast movement.

But the actual point that one should learn is: No one cares about camera gear slapfights on the internet.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 21, 2017 at 4:58:43 pm

No, you're wrong. This issue is created through an interaction between rolling shutter and a light source that is out of phase with the shutter speed. On a global sensor, this would show up as frame-to-frame flickering, while on a rolling shutter camera, it shows up as these rolling bands.

Also, stop getting into pissing matches. "Professionals" often know what they're talking about. Like Tyrion Lannister, our job is to drink and know things.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2017 at 5:23:16 pm

Rip that photog a new one, Duke. That has a lot less to do with rolling shutter than it has to do with shutter speed and the frequency of the fluorescent lighting.

DSLR's are great for shallow depth of field to create artsy-fartsy shots, but hey -- they're just still cameras that, when all is said & done, only have aspirations of doing video. They stink on ice under most "gun and go" - type situations, which this appears to be. And they toss away THREE-FOURTHS of the color information as they record.

Their only saving grace after the ability to use a huge variety of lenses: they're cheap.

Which is the main reason people use them. If someone comes out with something that performs like a real video camera at the same price point, watch all those DSLR aficionados drop 'em like hot potatoes.

Okay, I'm done trashing DSLR's.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 21, 2017 at 6:27:20 pm

Looking at that image, though, I'm not even convinced it's fluorescents. Those bands are so narrow that it looks more like LED PWM cycles than fluoro. And with non-cinema LEDs being so unstandardized, there's often no sync speed at which they don't flicker.

Of course, if this was a fully rigged set, that shouldn't have been an issue, period. But I've been in situations shooting doc-style under ambient LED lights, or LED streetlamps, where you can't set your shutter slow enough to smooth out the artifacts, rolling shutter or not.

The bottom line, though, is that it IS an artifact created by rolling shutter interacting with pulse cycles of a light, whether LED or fluorescent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]