FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smooth
Editing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Feb 20, 2017 at 11:23:59 pm

So I've got a piece of audio with some dialogue and some horror movie mood music in the background. The mood music is louder than the dialogue. Bear in mind I'm not talking about a low rumbling hum I mean this is full on horror screeching kind of music.
Any tips on how to clean up the audio, get rid of as much of the music and just retain the dialogue?

I've tried Denoiser, Decrackler, DeEsser and DeHummer and no luck yet...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Editing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:28:44 am

If they are mixed there is nothing you can do. You can only affect changes in relative levels if you have split tracks with separate music, separate dialogue, and separate sound effects.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Aaron Wolski
on Feb 21, 2017 at 3:09:21 am

Adobe Audition or Audacity can help tackle this problem, though it likely won't be perfect.

Bring your audio file into audition and then go to effects > stereo imagery > center channel extractor

From here you want to play around with the presets in hopes of lowering the background.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 21, 2017 at 6:14:54 am

If you can get hold of (Shazam) the clean music and sync it with the mix, you may be able to phase invert that and thus remove it. You'd have to match the music level in the mix.

Likelihood is it won't work though...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2017 at 5:06:33 pm

I'm with David -- if the audio was recorded that way, you have two choices:

1) Take the actor into a recording studio to lip-sync a re-recording of the dialogue.
2) Re-shoot.

If the background noise isn't separate from the dialogue, and even overwhelms it at points, you're hosed. Consider it a hard lesson learned about proper dialogue recording technique and the time and money-wasting futility of the phrase, "we'll fix it in post".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]