FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Prevent Obsoleting Dynamics Effect

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Petrula
How To Prevent Obsoleting Dynamics Effect
on Feb 19, 2017 at 4:56:12 pm
Last Edited By John Petrula on Feb 19, 2017 at 6:07:03 pm

Premiere Pro is trying to obsolete the incredibly useful Dynamics audio effect. For those of you who use and love it, you can help prevent this from occurring. How?

Adobe Staff employee, Stefan Gruenwedel, said, "Adobe product teams do monitor requests made through that feature request/bug report form. The more people post there, the better."

Please fill out the Premiere Pro feature request form asking them not to obsolete the Dynamics effect.
Premiere Pro Feature Request/Bug Report Form
Be sure to press the "Feature Request" button on the form.

Then email your friends asking them to also fill out the form.

*** Reasons Why The Dynamics Effect Is Important ***

If the Dynamics audio effect becomes obsolete, whenever I change a project, I would have to replace the Dynamics effect for all the clips with something else. This is very inconvenient and costly.

I work on tight deadlines. Without the Dynamics effect, I would not be able to meet those deadlines. The Dynamics effect is like a Swiss army knife. It has everything I need to get the job done in a single, easy to use interface.

Since Dynamics requires no further software development (It is already a finished product), keeping it would have minimal impact on the Adobe developer team except for recompiling it for each Premiere Pro update. Therefore, it makes no sense to obsolete Dynamics and make life hell for those of us who heavily rely on it.

Why is Dynamics so important? It was very easy to use, and extremely powerful with compression, limiter, gate, and other features in a single dialog. The controls are very interactive and adjustable on the fly. The compressor level meter (bar) lets me quickly see how much audio compression is used when listening to various sections of the video.

In contrast, the new Dynamics Processing audio effect is missing most of the features of the Dynamics effect. For example, Dynamics Processing lacks the compressor level meter (bar) so interactive compression adjustments are impossible since there is no visible feedback like you had with the obsolete Dynamics effect. It is like driving blind.

End users often ask me why my audio is so consistently good. The Dynamics effect is why.

The Neve 33609 Stereo Compressor is one of the world's finest audio compressors. Not only does the Dynamics effect have the features of the Neve 33609, but the Dynamics effect even has more features in one single interface. No wonder everyone uses it all the time. Adobe is making a really awful mistake putting it on the obsolete list. Adobe should make Dynamics a full time feature of Premiere Pro and brag about how it compares to the best hardware compressor available.

As one expert said, "I work with a team of freelance editors that have limited experience on audio compression/limiting etc... and Dynamics saves my workload for over modulated audio that most editors have no clue on how to mix."

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: How To Prevent Obsoleting Dynamics Effect
on Feb 19, 2017 at 11:18:14 pm

+1

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Feb 22, 2017 at 1:34:31 am
Last Edited By Simon Billington on Feb 22, 2017 at 1:36:27 am

There is a new Dynamics Processing plugin that replaces it, which is a much more powerful version of the same plugin. It was quite important they do this because the code for the old Dynamics audio was incredibly old and lacking in quality.

Improved Audio Effects

New in this release of Premiere Pro CC 2017 | November 2016

This release brings new and improved audio effects to Premiere Pro, thus providing higher-quality sound processing and improved fidelity from Adobe Audition. This includes:

Adaptive Noise Reduction
Dynamics Processing
Parametric Equalizer
Automatic Click Remover
Studio Reverb
New hi-DPI aware effects supported as part of this release include:

Analog Delay
Chorus/Flanger
DeHummer
Guitar Suite
Phaser
Single Band Compressor
Tube Modeled Compressor
Vocal Enhancer
Multi-Band Compressor

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/premiere-pro/using/whats-new.html

Personally, I usually opt to use 3rd part effects much of the time anyway. I just wait for a killer sale and acquire something I've been really needing to either improve the quality of my work or speed up the workflow.

Among my favs for dialogue dynamics processing is Vocal Rider, MV2, and eMO D5 which is a swiss-army knife and very much like the old Dynamics plugin except better in my opinion. But I do have a few other favourites as well.

Return to posts index

John Petrula
on Feb 23, 2017 at 6:35:37 pm

The Dynamics audio effect was an integral part of Premiere Pro for many years. I and other Premiere Pro editors have hundreds of lengthy videos which heavily utilize it. If Adobe removes the Dynamics effect, any project which utilized the Dynamics effect will suddenly have no audio effect i.e. you will have to redo all of the carefully done audio with another effect. This would be a nightmare. One might say, "Well, no one ever reopens completed projects." Let me give an example why this is not realistic.

With the new "Export markers as a list" feature, I am re-editing my previous videos to add markers. Why? My users have wanted a way to have a list of entry points into a YouTube video to take them to a particular topic. With the "Export markers" spreadsheet file, I automated it so I create a Table of Contents PDF file. They love it. They want me to do it for over a hundred one hour talks. All my videos use the Dynamics effect. If Adobe removes the Dynamics effect, I will need to replace it with something. This will require a huge amount of time. This is one of many reasons I do not want the Dynamics effect obsolete.

Unfortunately, the new Dynamics Processing audio effect lacks the compressor level meter (bar) so interactive compression adjustments during playback are impossible since there is no visible feedback like you had with the obsolete Dynamics effect. It is like driving blind.

I have to deal with real world cases of one hour videos with different speakers using the same microphone during the same talk. This is not a Hollywood studio, but a nitty-gritty real world environment with non-actors. Dynamics audio solves 95% of my audio issues with a single interface which works. Hundreds of my end users frequently compliment me on the quality of the audio results. The Dynamics effect is why.

If Premiere Pro replaced Dynamics with say a Dynamics 2 so all my old projects would automatically be replaced with Dynamics 2, continue to work with their original settings, and Dynamics 2 had ALL the features of Dynamics plus additional features, I would be happy. But let's get real. Adobe is not going to do that. Adobe will remove the Dynamics effect, my old projects will no longer work since the audio effect is gone, and the replacement effect interface is awful.

The solution is simple. Do not obsolete the Dynamics effect. And continue to offer new effects like Dynamics Processing.

For those who utilize the Dynamics effect everyday, please fill out the simple Premiere Pro Feature Request/Bug Report Form asking Adobe to make Dynamics a permanent feature, and not obsolete it. Your vote counts. Adobe prioritizes on how many requests they receive.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:32:59 pm

This is why it would be still listed there as "Obsolete". This means it would still be available for older projects, but moving forward you get the benefits of using a better designed, better sounding tool.

Whenever Logic declared a project obsolete, it was still there to be opened in older projects, but not available going forward. It's the same kind of deal. However, even today, you can still Opt/Alt+Click the effects slot and the obsolete (Legacy) effects will be made available to you.

These obsolete plugins were around in the eMagic days, before Apple bought Logic. Although, I know Adobe is a different beast it does make smart sense to keep it around for a long time. Or come up with a way where all your instances of the older plugin in older projects will get transparently converted to the new tool.

Unfortunately, the new Dynamics Processing audio effect lacks the compressor level meter (bar) so interactive compression adjustments during playback are impossible since there is no visible feedback like you had with the obsolete Dynamics effect. It is like driving blind.

This is unfortunate and something I think I may have missed. With any luck many of the Premiere users will be disgruntled about it and requesting improvements from Adobe. You could also do the same. It's still young, I think it has a bit of tweaking to go through, but you've got to start from somewhere.

Admittedly though, as a user of third-party dynamic tools, the Dynamics Processing still not ideal. I have found better options out there, more suitable to my workflow. Its an option not suitable for everyone, however.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]