FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cineform VS ACHD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Cineform VS ACHD
on Feb 17, 2017 at 2:45:10 pm

Hello,
I just got a windows 10 PC. It has a Xeon Processor, 16GB of Ram, Quardom4000 Graphics Card with 8GB of Video Memory.
Is there any point to transcoding AVCHD footage with this type of PC? This thing is wicked fast but I read that it's still recommended to transcode because Cineform is easier on faster machines.
Is there really any difference between AVCHD and Cineform? I'm also a little stumped because I read there is a 129 dollar version of Cineform and wondering if that's any better than the free codec that comes with Premiere? Is Cineform lossless like ProRes?
Thanks,
Bryce

Bryce

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Cineform VS ACHD
on Feb 17, 2017 at 3:27:43 pm

Hi Bryce,

Just edit the native AVCHD, should not need to transcode. And I don't think they even sell the "professional" version of Cineform any longer - that was before GoPro bought them a few years back.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Feb 18, 2017 at 5:19:51 am

Is there a way in Adobe prelude to rename the individual .mts files then send to premiere? As of now I can't stand the generic 00001.mts etc it makes. I'd like to rename them and import in to out points from prelude into premiere and rename the files to something like "scene1.mts" or "Interview.mts depending on what project I'm working on.

Bryce

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 17, 2017 at 9:06:44 pm

If you want to use Cineform, it's included with Premiere Pro/Adobe Media Encoder. You don't neeed to buy anything.

Cineform, ProRes and Avid DNX are all professional quality codecs. None of them are technically lossless, but they are visually pristine. Cineform might not be a good choice if you need to share the media with someone who does not have Premiere already, since it's less commonly used.

You don't need to transcode unless your machine cannot handle editing with AVCHD, which can be processor intensive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]