FORUMS: list search recent posts

60i Field Glitching & Stuttering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bitterman
60i Field Glitching & Stuttering
on Feb 16, 2017 at 9:49:48 pm

So I've inherited some old footage I'm being forced to try and work with to salvage a presentation for a client.

I'm told it was originally from a Sony cam, no one thinks it's been transcoded but it's in a MOV container and has 60i settings. I ran it through media encoder several times both to interpret the footage as well as to try transcoding to no avail. I've played with just about all the settings but am still getting weird stuttering, ghosting, and glitches. I'll leave some screenshots below of the footage info, the sequence settings etc. as well as a video clip link. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 60i Field Glitching & Stuttering
on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:00:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:39:34 pm

Stick it in a 1920x1080 29.97fps timeline.

If it behaves properly on a REAL video monitor -- not those pea-shooter viewers in PP, and not another computer monitor, but a real-deal video monitor hooked up to video input-output output card like a Blackmagic -- you're golden. You can proceed to deinterlace to create a 29.97p file if you wish.

If it doesn't, someone's been farting around with the file and Lord only knows what they did to it.

Incidentally, the proper field order for 1080 is Upper Field First. You may find that useful.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Feb 17, 2017 at 1:35:52 am

Transcoding will not help if it was captured like that. If the video tape is OK then the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle or even a Canopus ADVC 110 can capture the video just fine. If the tape is worn out then a time base corrector is needed. They may not have had things set up 100% correct at capture but I cannot say for sure.

As Dave LaRonde said if you edit old analogue tapes investing in a SD monitor and video capture card from AJA, Blackmagic Design or Matrox is money well spent. It sucks to edit old SD video on a computer monitor. It may seem to look OK on your computer monitor until you see it on broadcast equipment. It will look 200% better on broadcast equipment. The video below explains why.

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
on Feb 17, 2017 at 2:41:18 am

I should've mentioned , it's not 'that' old, it was definitely recorded onto an sd card and was digital.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 17, 2017 at 3:25:09 pm

I don't believe this to be a "camera original" video clip for a few reasons. First, it is reported as 59.94 frames, which would be 60p, yet it also says it is interlaced. Impossible. 1080i is 29.97 frames, period. Audio is 44k when cameras pretty much all record 48k. And then there is the data rate, cameras are usually 24mbps or better, not 16.

I think someone converted the camera file using the wrong settings - whether it is salvageable??? Could you make the file available for download so others can work with settings, like DropBox or something?

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]