FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replicating DVD Chapter Marker Functionality

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Hall
Replicating DVD Chapter Marker Functionality
on Feb 15, 2017 at 9:57:50 am

Hello all,

I regularly use Premiere and DVD SP to produce DVDs that contain chapters and Stories. The great thing about this is that the user can either watch the whole video or jump to specific content that plays and then returns to the menu. So far so obvious.

The trouble I'm having is that in this post-DVD world I'm struggling to replicate that menu functionality. Most formats seem to strip out all of the markers leaving me with a linear file that has no way of getting to specific items other than dragging the play slider along until I get to the part I want. This feels like I've gone back to the days of a cassette mix tape!

How are people creating menus and selectable jump in and out points ?

I have heard of people using a web browser to play the video and using HTML5 to create menus / playlists but is there a more user friendly way of doing it?

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Replicating DVD Chapter Marker Functionality
on Feb 15, 2017 at 2:37:52 pm

If you grab the last version of Adobe Encore (CS6)...

in addition to having DVD authoring capabilites....

you could also create Flash menus and Marker functionality....

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/exporting-projects-flash-format.html

I have seen this demonstrated...but not used it myself....

Also beware...that flash itself is getting a little long in the tooth...

But maybe this will help....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 15, 2017 at 3:18:20 pm

Yeah you can export a Flash version out of Encore or you can add chapter markers (note: these are different than normal markers) in Premiere. If you export the file to a format that knows how to use chapter markers then they will show up in media players and the viewer can jump to the different chapters.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 15, 2017 at 4:34:55 pm

I still use Encore and author as usual, then produce an ISO file of the project.

Using Videolan VLC player on a PC, these ISO files play just like a DVD, with full original menu/navigation control.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 15, 2017 at 5:19:59 pm

Jon...

that's a really cool idea...
I use ISO's regularly...

But I never though of that as a solution to that problem!

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Frank Hall
on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:24:02 am

The Flash export works perfectly and duplicates the DVD functionality.

Unfortunately Flash is as you say getting pretty old now and isn't supported universally anymore.

If there is a way of producing in HTML5 format in the same way then we could be onto a winner. Unfortunately everything I've seen requires a level of programming expertise that I just don't have.

Return to posts index

Stephen Abbott
on Feb 16, 2017 at 12:22:23 pm

Hi Frank,

I use chapter markers on a Premiere timeline, then merge these markers as chapters in the final (MP4) output video.

To get the chapters across, I use Subler (for Mac). This allows you to pull the chapter stream out of a Quicktime export from Premiere, and include it in an MPEG4. You simply re-save the MPEG4 and you're good to go.

You get different results from different video players:

- QT7 has a nice text list next to the playback controls
- QTX has a nice list with thumbnails next to the playback controls
- VLC has a text list 'Chapters' under the Playback menu
- Youtube and Vimeo both don't honour these chapters

None are nearly as nice for user-control as a DVD menu, I'm afraid. If you want real control, you will indeed need to look to an HTML5 player, or stick with Flash...

Hope this helps!

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

Dan Germano
on Sep 22, 2017 at 8:28:15 pm

Stephan,

I'm new to Subler. My chapters work fine in Quicktime but are not working in the latest Windows Media Player. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 16, 2017 at 3:15:08 pm

Does the content have to be local to the machine?

Is youtube an option?

check this out:

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Barry Vonlanken
on Sep 18, 2017 at 7:29:17 pm

Jon,

I'm using Encore CS6 as well and have produced a number of DVD projects for a client. They are having issues running those projects on a PC using VLC. The discs run fine on DVD player but they want to offer their customers the ability to also play the DVD content on a PC and they'd prefer to use VLC.

My projects run fine with the MPC-HC player on Win10 and windows media player on Win7 but VLC won't run them beyond the opening menus on any system. Once it hits the first slideshow, it won't advance.

I've also tried running an ISO of the project with VLC and it stops at the same place. Could my issue have something to do with chapters in my DVD build? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 20, 2017 at 3:13:19 pm

While VLC is certainly a versatile program, using youtube to create chapter markers sure seems much simpler - on both the creation side as well as the user end.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Barry Vonlanken
on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:04:05 pm

Greg,

That's a good suggestion!

I believe I discovered the solution to my Encore issue last night. I was adding slideshows within the project that were set to manually advance by the user. The DVD is used by an instructor in front of a class so they need to be able to advance the content one image at a time. That worked fine in MPC-HC, Windows 10 DVD Player and on traditional DVD players. I wasn't adding any on-screen buttons because they were jpgs and not PSDs. I did a test by replacing a set of the slides as menus instead and added a previous and next set of buttons to them. VLC plays the DVD test fine now.

I am running into issues with Encore not displaying content in the monitor window for some reason. It will show menus but not videos...it used to work fine. I also often have to restart my system after closing Encore because the application won't reopen again without a restart. Are there any preferences or settings that can be changed to get the monitor window to play video and show slides?

Barry

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:12:37 pm

Barry, I wish i could give you some advice but 1) I've never used Encore and 2) I haven't made or even operated a DVD in at least 5 years.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Barry Vonlanken
on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:59:41 pm

Greg,

We're moving out of DVD production too. These are older training projects our client is hoping will be work with DVD software for a few more years. Most of our training content is built for online anyway.

Take care!

Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]