FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I constrain clips while moving vertically between tracks in Premiere Pro CC 2015.4?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
liz norris
How do I constrain clips while moving vertically between tracks in Premiere Pro CC 2015.4?
on Feb 13, 2017 at 11:01:09 pm

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Premiere Pro and it's driving me bananas that I can't constrain a clip vertically when moving between tracks like I could using shift + click in FCP 7. Is there a similar modifier/shortcut I can use in Premiere? An example is quickly prepping edits for audio mix. I often have only a few precious minutes to organize multiple audio tracks and create an OMF. Shift + click was greatly beneficial in this, allowing me to quickly move sound effects and other tracks without losing desired picture sync.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
Liz Norris

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: How do I constrain clips while moving vertically between tracks in Premiere Pro CC 2015.4?
on Feb 13, 2017 at 11:13:29 pm

Aggravating, isn't it? Especially when you get Nervous Mouse Syndrome and it slides the audio track a tick or two off sync. Following this thread.

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
Re: How do I constrain clips while moving vertically between tracks in Premiere Pro CC 2015.4?
on Feb 14, 2017 at 1:12:28 am

Doesn’t work in all situations, but opt + up / down arrow is a good command to know.

Return to posts index

liz norris
on Feb 14, 2017 at 1:51:13 am

Thank you Eddie! This is a helpful trick indeed, and I'm sure I'll use it. However, if I'm trying to move something down from say, Track 1 to Track 15, this method seems to knock out all the audio in between. I'm just looking for a quick drag/constrain/drop method. I found it especially helpful in FCP when organzing non-sync (but picture locked) audio in a flash. But that's just on example!

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 14, 2017 at 5:41:53 am

Not sure if you realize it, but if you have snapping on (S), the clips are sort of magnetically constrained, when you move them vertically, with no modifier key needed. You will see triangles in the corner of the clips that let you know you have not moved them out of place.
They are not fully locked in place when you move them, but they do try to remain in place until you push them too far.

Not as good as what Avid and FCP 7 offers, but it does work okay once you are used to it. I've been doing this a lot lately (prepping timelines for AAF export) and its been fine, just moving stuff with no modifier key.

If you have to move clips a huge number of tracks up or down, you can also park your playhead at the start of the clip, select it, then cut (cmd-x) ....target the track where you want it to go...then paste (cmd-v).

Would love to get the constrain vertically feature in Premiere though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]