FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro Rushes & Time Machine backups

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Baum
Premiere Pro Rushes & Time Machine backups
on Feb 7, 2017 at 9:55:18 am

Hi,

I'm on Premiere Pro CC17.0.2 o a 2012 Mac Pro running El Capitan (Mid 2012 2x 3.46GHz 64GB ram, NVIdia Geforce GTX980 Ti)

I use Time machine for regular backups (always on, so running hourly) and I'm finding that with every edit I work on, all media associated with that edit is being re-backed up, as though Time Machine detects a change in the source files.

This is a problem for drive space, as some footage is 4K, single take ProRes footage - so one file can be around 60gb for example. I have a 4TB drive but it is burning through space.

Example being if I use a portion of the above mentioned source clip in an edit, then the whole 60GB file is backed up (again) on the following backup.

I'm curious as to what is causing it. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Premiere Pro Rushes & Time Machine backups
on Feb 7, 2017 at 11:45:29 am

Don't use Time Machine for your media backups. It's not designed for that. You can exclude specific folders or drives in Time Machine Preferences.

Return to posts index

Dave Baum
on Feb 7, 2017 at 12:34:52 pm

Thanks for your reply but that's not that helpful - I know I can exclude unwanted files. I use time machine as a safety net, not for general archiving.

That is not the issue - the issue is the inclusion of files that have not changed, which is what Time Machine is designed for (i.e. to scan for changes on your system and update accordingly)

I have multiple internal drives on my machine, one of which is used for projects and their associated media. If the media has not changed location / duration etc, then it should not be getting backed up, no?

Return to posts index

Dave Baum
on Feb 7, 2017 at 12:40:10 pm

I presume that Premiere is having some effect on the media file ( i.e. through referencing it in an edit) and is causing Time Machine to log a change in that file, and therefore to back it up again. As far as I am aware, that's not what should be happening.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 7, 2017 at 7:23:51 pm

Hi,

shots in the dark...

Check PPro >Prefs>Media and see what's enabled re: XMP metadata...

if you are adding clip markers to a media file that supports XMP embedding (like .mov AND that feature is enabled)....that would qualify as a change...

Also...via some detective work....

Do the Last Modified dates on media change?

Maybe change the imported media to READ ONLY at the file system level?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Dave Baum
on Feb 9, 2017 at 1:18:48 pm

Alex, huge thanks for your suggestion - this makes sense... I have added markers so could definitely be to do with that. I am not in studio until tomorrow to check but will post back.
Cheers!
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Baum
on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:00:10 am

Hi Alex,

You are a genius sir, you've hit the nail on head.
Here's the media prefs:
11033_screenshot20170210at10.47.06.png.zip

I guess now it's just weighing up the pros and cons of having XMP data enabled vs having the files backing up. Will give it some thought but thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:25:11 am

Dave...

without it enabled...you can still use markers within project (I think....)

but if previously marked media is imported to another project (from the file system..as opposed to importing from another project) then the marks won't be there...(I think)...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Dave Baum
on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:43:12 am

Thanks Alex. That's how I understood the options too.

It complicates the temporary backup / Time Machine methodology but will give it some thought.

Even if space were not an issue, the danger is that a previous full backup of the rushes is eventually replaced with a folder that contains only one or two files that have been affected by the XMP data. I always archive at the end of projects, but Time Machine has been a handy safety tool so would be like to continue using it for this if possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]