FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long 4K movie with chapters

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasco daNeva
Long 4K movie with chapters
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:52:03 pm

A 2-hour long 4K movie won’t fit on a DVD or BluRay so we don’t use Encore anymore, rather we use Media Encoder to make an mp4 or similar to play with a media player on a 4K TV. The problem is I can’t figure out how to make chapters that you can skip through with the media player (or computer for that matter). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Vasco

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Long 4K movie with chapters
on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:18:53 pm

I have not done this with 4K. I will share my workflow with you for DVD. You may have to make a few changes for your 4K project.

We have decades of personal video, as well as paid projects, from back in the SD days. Original distribution was on VHS or broadcast tape formats. I converted the personal projects to DVD's.

Of course, time marches on, and sometimes the DVD just won't play in Blu-Ray players, and the old DVD machines are fading into the sunset.
So I went back to the original Encore projects and instead of burning a DVD, I made an ISO file. (This is one possible area of change, where you would probably make a different type of file, I am guessing.)

I found that I could play back these ISO files in Videolan VLC Media Player with full menu/chapter control. So I grabbed an old workstation and use as as an input device on our TV. I open the ISO file in VLC Media Player, and there's my menu, ready to navigate. Depending on the original authoring, I have pretty much the same level of control on chapter selection, playback, etc. A quick "CTRL+H" and the VLC app is hidden with video full screen.

I use the "Unified Remote" app (there is a free and paid version) on my phone. It comes with a basic VLC Player remote that gives me remote control. Or I can handle that through the wireless keyboard on the Media computer.

So you might want to experiment and see if the same capability is available for your HD project with VLC or another software application.

Hope this at least gets you started on a solution.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2017 at 4:29:05 pm

[Vasco daNeva] "The problem is I can’t figure out how to make chapters that you can skip through with the media player (or computer for that matter). Any ideas?"

Well, making chapters is a benefit that comes from authoring. Unfortunately, you can't do 4K in a Blu-Ray authoring application without making it HD. I think you're stuck with what you have for the time being.

Just because there are 4K cameras and TVs doesn't mean there's already a whole, fully-evolved infrastructure for 4K.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2017 at 5:19:39 pm

If you add a chapter marker to the Premiere timeline it will be exported to the file if you export to a format that supports chapter markers. Note that it needs to be a chapter marker. Normal markers won't work.

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on May 21, 2017 at 3:01:01 pm

Thank you, Tero!
Which formats supports chapter markers?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]