FORUMS: list search recent posts

Facilis Terrablock Mac/PC Relink Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Stark
Facilis Terrablock Mac/PC Relink Issues
on Feb 3, 2017 at 5:34:42 pm

Looking for help on relinking media not found when starting a project on Mac then moving the project to a PC. We are having to manually relink a great number of media elements which is taking way too much time and effort. Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Facilis Terrablock Mac/PC Relink Issues
on Feb 3, 2017 at 8:35:08 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Feb 3, 2017 at 8:39:28 pm

Hmmmm....

Premiere uses the file path to find media.
Volumes from the Mac side would have a volume path designation.
/Volume/Media/project

Volumes on the windows side would end up with a letter designation.
Q:\Media\Project

So if you are moving a project back and forth...
the pathing designation changes because of the way the OS handles the paths....

are you formatting the Facilis Volumes for each OS? Or do you have multi-write and are handling OS formatting thru the Facilis?

when passing the project back and forth...are you adding a lot of media with each iteration? OR are you refining the edit?

If you use the media browser panel to import material (like an edit) into a project where the media already lives....PPro would try to use media it already sees to avoid media asset duplication.

As a side affect of this workflow, this MAY also help alleviate relinking issues you are having.

Part of this may be tied to Preference>Media "Write XMP ID to files on import" in PPro. These ID's (invisible to users) help PPro to uniquely identify files. It's not the ONLY criteria PPro would use for file matching....BUT...it certainly is a helpful one. I point this out, because not all media formats allow the writing of Metadata into the file headers. Quicktime is one of the formats that support this. So you may want to do some testing and see if you can nail down a workflow that resolves this with smaller test media sets.

hope this gives you some clues....

I've used the Facilis. And I've used it in mixed environments. But I've not done a lot project cross platform migrating in that environment.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Randy Stark
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply!

To answer these two questions:

are you formatting the Facilis Volumes for each OS? Or do you have multi-write and are handling OS formatting thru the Facilis?
All volumes are MW on the Facilis and are NTFS

when passing the project back and forth...are you adding a lot of media with each iteration? OR are you refining the edit?
Yes, lots of additional elements making it difficult to package everything together and not link to other volume resources

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 6, 2017 at 11:25:52 pm

Hi Randy....

Yeah.....it's not the formatting of the volumes....(NTFS)

it's how the pathing gets interpreted on each system...(I think)...(see previous)....

if you use the import (via media browser...again see last post) of the updated version of the edit between two Projects (a Mac one AND a WIN one)...

then you'd only be re-linking what's been added in the last iteration....

see what I'm saying?

OR

otherwise the only other thing I can think of at the moment...is to project manage to a folder before passing the project to the other user...then when you would go to connect...you'd only have one folder to point to...and PPro would just "find" everything there....

because ulitmately the facilis can still keep the original stuff spread out across a variety of a volumes for general usage...

maybe you make a "project" volume that you each collect to before passing the project back and forth...

you'd use extra space while working on the project BUT... you can always kill the project volume at any time...because it's merely a convenient "temporary location" to ease the burden of relinking and the original assets would still live in their other volumes however you have them organized on the SAN.

this is an important point...when bringing in new assets DONT INGEST them to the temp collect location. put them in an organized spot in your library...ONLY use the temp collect as the mechanism of working between systems.

that help?

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
PETER GARAWAY Re: Facilis Terrablock Mac/PC Relink Issues
on Feb 7, 2017 at 4:07:51 pm

Hey Peter...

take a look at this thread...

would setting up the project as team project where each editor could reference the same media on the SAN thru their pathing mechanism (per the Mac versus Windows OS) be a solution here???

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 7, 2017 at 7:13:16 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Feb 7, 2017 at 7:26:13 pm

Randy...

look at this:

of particular interest to you....

the section at: 1:50

see what you think....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 12, 2017 at 1:04:20 am

Hi Alex - Thanks for putting my name in the title (I glad I caught that).

Good find on the video you linked to. That should solve your question Randy but if it does not please let know and I can try to help get you sorted.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]