FORUMS: list search recent posts

Temporarily hiding a track using Track Motion

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Prickril
Temporarily hiding a track using Track Motion
on Feb 2, 2017 at 4:56:21 pm

Hi All,
Ex Sony Vegas user ascending the Adobe learning curve. I have a project that shows a video clip (talking head) next to a set of images (PowerPoint slides). At various points, I'd like to make the talking head video "disappear" and move the "slide" clip to the middle of the screen. Later, I'll restore the talking head clip and the slides to their original positions. I can do this with Track Motion and keyframes by scaling the talking head clip down and moving it so that it is covered by the slide track. What might be easier, is to simply "hide" the talking head video

Is there an easy way to do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Temporarily hiding a track using Track Motion
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:05:42 pm

Hmmm... apparently the arcane lingo used in Vegas is different than the arcane lingo used in PP. Imagine that!

It sounds like you want to animate position and scale on two clips. You can do that -- make sure the Effect Controls pane is visible, select the clip in the timeline, and you'll see keyframable scale & position properties.

Mess with some test clips to get the hang of the process and you'll be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Prickril
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:59:35 pm

I can get the effect I want by simply scaling down to zero. Another question: Is there a way to have the change defined at a key frame, scaling, for example, happen immediately instead of gradually (between that key frame and the previous one)? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2017 at 7:12:10 pm

Sure -- on one frame, scale it to zero. On the next frame, scale it to 100. Easy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Prickril
on Feb 2, 2017 at 7:13:48 pm

That would involve two key frames, no? Ended up getting the effect I wanted by making the previous key frame type "hold".

Many thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2017 at 7:17:59 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 2, 2017 at 8:34:17 pm

Ah. I know about those keyframe varieties in After Effects. I didn't know PP had 'em, too. I learned something new.

But here's a question: what would be the difference between an instant scale change and a plain ol' cut?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Prickril
on Feb 3, 2017 at 11:44:28 am

Not much probably! Silly question: Let's say I cut the clip from the 1 minute mark to the 2 minute mark and then change my mind. How do I restore the video that was cut?

One other thing: Using key frames, I can make a bit of an effect so that maybe the image scales down to 0 over just a few frames. Looks a bit more professional I think, especially if another clip does a "lightning" animation as well.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 3, 2017 at 6:13:15 pm

Cutting out a minute of a clip? And you want to change your mind? It depends on how far along you are.
It may be easier just to start over.
It may be easier to make the trim on the clip and move the later stuff to the left.
No hard-and-fast rules here.

As far as the timing of that transition and the lightning... well, that's a matter of personal taste.
Someone's sure to love it, someone will say "meh" and someone else will hate its guts.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Prickril
on Feb 4, 2017 at 6:46:02 pm

Agree that you can't please everyone. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]