FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Install of CS6, New Video Card - and a PlugIn Problem! :(

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Hurley
New Install of CS6, New Video Card - and a PlugIn Problem! :(
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:49:39 am

Okay - first of all, I hope it's okay to ask a question like this here. It does pertain to Adobe Premiere and a plugin that I use with it. Red Giant's Magic Bullet Looks.
So, my previous mother board died and I ordered a new one. I figured I might as well upgrade to a better video card. My $ is very limited - so I could not spend a lot, but I DID upgrade from what I had. I got NVIDIA Quadro 4000.
So, everything is great EXCEPT when I load PP CS6, I get the message that Magic Bullet Looks failed to launch, most likely because my video card is not sufficient - but I know this is not true... I am STUMPED. I plan to reach out to the folks over at Red Giant tomorrow, but I SOOOO want to get this up and running tonight so I can get to work on some things.

I am HOPING that someone here might have some advice on what I could do or check that might solve this problem.

Every program is running fine, except that ONE... and without IT, I cannot do any editing in Premiere - because it is a project I have heavily edited with MBL already - so every clip that has any effects on it, is not visible. ☹

Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks so much to anyone who does!!!
Lisa

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: New Install of CS6, New Video Card - and a PlugIn Problem! :(
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:53:34 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 30, 2017 at 2:01:32 am

try installing the QNF drivers from nvidia, a very special driver called 'quadro new feature'.

1. Go to the Premiere CS6 installation folder.
2. Find the file "GPUSniffer.exe" and run cmd.exe
3.under Name: GeForce or whatever Compute capability: 1.3
4. remove the 'Compute capability: 1.3' so it just reads Geforce 'whatever'
5. save in "cuda_supported_cards.txt" in premiere folder
6. under nvidia, manage 3D settings, add premiere.exe to primary gfx card as compatibility perf mode.
does it then show up in premiere's preferences, cuda?

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 2:04:00 am

Thanks so much Chris. Doing it immediately~~!!!

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:24:22 am

Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem... however it was good advice, and I'm glad I went back and downloaded the additional drivers you recommended.

Magic Bullet Looks is actually showing up within Premiere Pro, but it is not usable. When you click on the controls, they are just blank. Same thing in After Effects. ☹ It seems like stuff like this only happens when you are working towards a deadline, and you're in a REAL big hurry.. :(

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:45:35 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:52:06 am

to fix red giant plugins in premiere

1. Move unseen plugin folders from ProgramFiles/Adobe/Common/Plugins/7.0/MediaCore to the Desktop
2. Open Premiere, holding SHIFT key until the Welcome screen pops up (this clears the cache Premiere uses to load the plugins installed into the MediaCore folder)
3. Close Premiere
4. Move folders back into ProgramFiles/Adobe/Common/Plugins/7.0/MediaCore
5. Open Premiere (not holding SHIFT key)

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:18:34 pm

Okay I did this.. AFTER I uninstalled everything "Red Giant".. I completely uninstalled everything, and then reinstalled... THEN, I took those steps... no luck. ☹ There must be something else - but I surely cannot figure out what it might be. How frustrating.. I'm stumped.... I submitted a ticket to Red Giant.... I hope I can get an answer soon. In the meantime, if any other thoughts run across your mind that might help me out, please share ! ☺ ☺
Lisa

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:50:34 pm

Hi Lisa,
I hope you got this working. I don't have any helpful procedures to suggest but this reminded me of an experience I had with Red Giant Looks and another plug in.

I started with PP CC "2013" with RG Looks which worked fine. When I installed PP CC 2014 RG did not work with it. I learned that RG did not update their plugins till some time after the CC 2014 release. I once tried another plugin that worked with CC 2014 but not with CC 2013.
So I learned that some versions of plugins work with some versions of PP and not others. But you just reinstalled without changing versions, I think.

Hope RG can help sort this out for you. I think about trying to buy CS6 to get off the Adobe rental/update bandwagon, and paying for recent versions I can't use. I wonder if CS6 would do most of what I need.

Good luck,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 8:02:17 pm

So far, no luck Robert. ☹ I did find a very informative thread here that described others' very similar problems where people had wasted DAYS of time. It appears to be a problem with Premiere and MBL working well together when something gets changed.

And right. I did not change anything other than motherboards and video card. And the video card was a huge upgrade from what I was previously using... I continue to get this message saying that this is a problem with my video card, but this is virtually impossible. Haven't heard back from Red Giant.. and I'm just sitting here doing all these steps over and over again, to no effect. ☹ I am hoping for a miracle soon.

I bet CS6 would do what you need. This is why I am still using CS6. Not to mention that I live in a very rural area, and can't afford the amount of data it would take to work "online". Many times, I don't even have an internet connection. I just can't pay monthly when I already have something that works well. You should download a 30 day trial of CS6 and try it out just to "see" if it will work for you.

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 8:46:49 pm

Okay.. so I just finished chatting with the 2nd Red Giant guy and he gave me a link to a newer version. He said the version I was using was a weird one (???) and so I downloaded and installed the new one, and viola!!!! It works... Singing and Dancing now.. :)... Back to work.. I'm 3 days behind schedule :(

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 30, 2017 at 10:40:08 pm

For future reference, bookmark this page
https://support.redgiant.com/hc/en-us/articles/227486988-My-plugins-are-app...

Option 2. Sometimes when you update Premiere Pro or Red Giant plugins, they don't appear in Premiere Pro. This gives a simple step by step on how to get PPro to recognize the plugins. For some reason "Ignore" gets turned on (1) and PPro then "ignores" the plugin. By setting Ignore to (0) they will then appear and work properly. Hopefully you won't need to deal with this nonsense. All I know is I'm glad I bookmarked that page!

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 31, 2017 at 6:42:05 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Lisa.
Glad to hear RG gave you the right software.
BTW and FYI, PP CC doesn't need to be "online" to work. One goes online to download the software and do account business. Then the software runs on your local computer. Adobe does do an online check periodically to make sure your license is current and paid for. Maybe once a month. You can retain older versions of the software if you check the right buttons when downloading new versions. I am using CC "2013" for a long-term project and can use CC 2014 on this computer and OS. I've been paying for development of 2015 and 2017 versions that I don't use, which is irksome.
Cheers,
Ropbert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 31, 2017 at 8:26:51 pm

Just an FYI next time you need a new video card, for Premiere you get a lot more bang for less buck with a GTX-series gaming card rather than Quadro. Premiere is all about CUDA cores, and GTX cards have tons of them on a budget, like one-third the cost of Quadro. Think GTX 1060 or 1070 for instance.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]