FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere doesn't give me sidecar file option for exporting closed captions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
Premiere doesn't give me sidecar file option for exporting closed captions
on Jan 27, 2017 at 8:20:20 pm

I am doing my first projects with closed captioning. I added .srt files and they import and line up beautifully. After I render I want to export them as closed captioned files, where you can turn the captioning on and off. I should get export options under the Captions tab for either None, Burn Captions into Video, or Create Sidecare File. I want Create Sidecar File, but I only get None and Burn Captions into Video as options. I am running Premiere Pro CC 2017. Any thoughts?

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Premiere doesn't give me sidecar file option for exporting closed captions
on Jan 31, 2017 at 12:10:38 pm

Leonard, I have also just discovered this problem. There was a post on the Adobe forums back in December that stated the same thing and it looks like it still hasn't been addressed.
It looks like the best option at the moment is to transfer your project into CC 2015 or earlier.

Alternatively in 2017 if you select the .srt file in the project panel Premiere gives you the option to export the captions.

That said, unless you are actually editing the captions inside Premiere then you presumably already have your sidecars file, right? The srt files you imported into Premiere in the first place. Or am I misunderstanding something? I'm not an expert when it comes to captioning!

Alex Elkins // Freelance Editor & Colourist
alexelkins.co.uk
@elkstwit

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Jan 31, 2017 at 5:24:15 pm

Thanks, Alex. Exporting the captions just give me an xml or another .srt file. It doesn't give me a movie with closed captioning. My understanding of the sidecar file is that Premiere creates this on export for closed captioning, whether you create the captions yourself or import an .srt or some other type of captioning file. I also posted this question on the Adobe forum and have not received a response. Although I saw another comment from a year ago about the same issue. Very strange that it has disappeared and Adobe doesn't respond.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 31, 2017 at 5:52:45 pm

[Leonard Frankford] "My understanding of the sidecar file is that Premiere creates this on export for closed captioning, whether you create the captions yourself or import an .srt or some other type of captioning file."

Actually I think what you're expecting to happen is slightly incorrect. A sidecar file is exactly that - a file that is separate to the video file. It's down to the playback software you use to be able to open that alongside the video file (VLC can do this for instance).

It sounds like what you want is a video file with the subtitles embedded inside the container (but not burnt-into the video) so that you can toggle them on/off. Is that right?
Whether this is possible depends on the container format you're using - mov files can contain text tracks for instance, although I've personally never used this feature. Whether Premiere actually has the capability to create mov files with text tracks is another question but I can't see an option for it. I assumed it would be the 'embed in output file' option but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Weirdly I've just done another test and created a completely new caption file inside Premiere (instead of importing an existing one) and this time it's letting me export with a sidecar file.

Alex Elkins // Freelance Editor & Colourist
alexelkins.co.uk
@elkstwit

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Feb 10, 2017 at 6:19:44 pm

Thank you for responding. It turns out that I do not need a sidecare file. What I need is the option to Embed in Output File. But I don't get that option in CC 2017. I only get None or Burn Captions into Video. This occurs whether I chose .mp4 or Quicktime export.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Bryan Walls
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:55:02 pm

Your captions are showing in your timeline?

When I do an export of a product with captions in it to MPEG4 or QuickTime format, the Captions tab lets choose None, Create Sidecar File, Burn Captions into Video, or Embed in Output File.

I could love an easy way to just create a sidecar file (if I'm editing something I got with embedded captions) without having to create a whole new video product.

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Mar 1, 2017 at 9:00:52 pm

Yes, my captions are showing in my timeline. But I don't get the option that I need. I think the problem is that I am using .srt files and they don't give me the option of Embed in Output File. What I also don't understand is what the purpose of a sidecar file is. Is that something I can bring back into Premiere that will allow me to export a closed-caption file?

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Bryan Walls
on Mar 1, 2017 at 10:37:53 pm

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing with SRT. It does seem like once you had them on the timeline in a format that Premiere understands, it could put them out in any format you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]