FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very choppy playback in Source window - iMac 16GB ram

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Kornhauser
Very choppy playback in Source window - iMac 16GB ram
on Jan 24, 2017 at 11:36:03 pm

Hi

I'm a long time FCP user who is trying to make the switch to Premiere. Mainly because the footage I have from an ongoing project was shot in a format that isn't FCP friendly (Arri Alexa XML files).

I'm having a lot of trouble with the playback. On some of the footage the colors seem to be overly saturated. And almost all of the footage will not play back smoothly in the Source window. Even if I change the playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/8 it still plays choppy.

Some of the footage was shot at a higher speed and shows up as a 3200 x 1800 resolution in the project window...not sure why that would be the case.

Is there a different way I should be importing the files? Is it my computer?

Happy to offer any other info if it can help.

Thanks!!!

S

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Very choppy playback in Source window - iMac 16GB ram
on Jan 25, 2017 at 1:12:11 am

What hard drive is this stored on? What computer are you using? For real time playback of camera raw footage, Premiere Pro relies not only on processor speed, but also your graphics card. A GOOD Graphics card (GPU) with at least 2GB, better if 4GB or more, is a bare minimum. Nvidia is best, to enable CUDA...but a decent card to enable Open CL works too. But if you have an underpowered GPU, then it's best to do what you did in FCP...convert to ProRes.

Playback of those files, especially the 3.5K ones...requires a fast hard drive connection, if not RAID drive. FW800 won't cut it. USB3 is barely good for one stream, if that. Need at least a Thunderbolt RAID or SAS or eSATA Raid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Kornhauser
on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:17:28 pm

Thanks very much for the response.

- What hard drive is this stored on?
- I'm working off of a 6TB Lacie Thunderbolt RAID HD

- What computer are you using?
- 2012 iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690MX 2048 MB video card

A friend said when they moved to Premiere they just upgraded their machine to have a more powerful graphics card w/ 4GB of video RAM. Does it seem like that's something I should look at? Or should I buy a different HD to work off of? Or is editing w/ proxy files a better idea?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:33:18 pm

The GPU you have isn't powerful enough to aid in editing camera raw files. 4GB is minimum, more is better. So either transcode to ProRes 422 and use those as masters, or look at the offline/online proxy workflow options.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 26, 2017 at 5:52:24 pm

Also, I can vouch that you need more ram....working in anything above 1080 (moreso if raw footage)
will be slow as molasses response wise with 16gb.

When I upgraded to 32gb during a project with Red footage, it made a HUGE difference in
the way premiere responded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]