FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fps

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Harvey
Fps
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:02:09 pm

Hi all.

This should go in the general inquiries, but I cant find that forum. So I'll post here ☺

This is hopefully a simple question, I hope.

First off, I'm in the UK, so 25fps for me, though I do prefer the look of 24fps.

I have recorded my footage at 50fps, so I can do slow mo when suitable. I dont want to have to keep changing my setting when recording an event, so thought it best to just keep it at 50fps. Is that the right practice?

When I take the all the files intothe software, what should I set the timeline to? Natively the timeline is set to 50fps, and the footage runs smoothly and 'normal'.

If I set the timeline to 25fps, the clip double in length and play at half speed. This is expected.

My main question, and I know it sounds dumb, should I have the timeline at 25fps or 50fps? And if I need to have it at 25fps, can I get the clip to run at 'normal' speed (dropping every other frame)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Owen

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Fps
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:08:43 pm

If your footage is 50 fps and you edit it in a sequence that is 25fps Premiere will drop every other frame automatically to keep the same duration. You can then slow the clips down in the sequence when needed with time remapping.

Return to posts index

Owen Harvey
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:10:19 pm

Thank you Tero.

Return to posts index

Owen Harvey
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:40:28 pm

Out of interest for the future.

If I have a timeline that is at 50fps, and it has some clips already in(50fps).

After changing the timeline to 25fps, is there a way of re interpreting the clips?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:18:25 pm

I haven't tried that but the only thing that should change is the sequence frame rate. The clips should stay in place.

Set it up. Try what happens.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:26:10 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 25, 2017 at 12:48:13 am

[Owen Harvey] "....25fps for me, though I do prefer the look of 24fps."

You can discern a difference of just one frame per second? REALLY?

It would be interesting to know the results of a double-blind test where you view various graphics animations at both rates to see if you can identify the frame rates without error.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Owen Harvey
on Jan 26, 2017 at 8:54:24 am

When I watch a show on the computer where it is at 24fps American TV) it looks great.

When I watch the same show on UK TV, it looks bad. Something doesn't seem right. It feels cheap, like an episode of Doctor Who on the BBC. Then I read up that it was being played at 25fps.

24fps is just smoother. IMO

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 26, 2017 at 9:01:23 am

I'd say the issue is more about the shutter speed than the frame rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]