FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which color profile do I trust?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Which color profile do I trust?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 11:09:15 pm

Just out of curiosity, let's assume I have a calibrated monitor and an actual client I have to deliver a project to. As you all know the color profile in Premiere Pro is different from Quicktime or VLC. Is it safe to assume that what you see in Premiere Pro is what the file actually looks like? Or do you, as professionals, have to jump through a whole bunch of other hoops to make sure the file you send your client doesn't have purple skin or oversaturated reds?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Which color profile do I trust?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:09:03 am

premiere(and mercury transmit/dynamic link) is rec. 709 0-255 gamma 2.2. vlc "usually" matches premiere if you have 0-255 set in nvidia control panel. quicktime player is gamma 1.8 so doesn't match premiere natively. mpc-hc, madvr supports color management. It all comes down to your playback device, if it supports color management, gamma 2.2 0-255 full range RGB etc. You can often make your own 'corrective' lut with this free lut generator.

create lut from before and after image.(has some video tuts scroll halfway down)
https://sellfy.com/p/aQ1y/

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:54:10 am

ok, so, to summarize, what it looks like in Premiere Pro is what the video actually looks like. If you export the file in a delivery format and play it on a professionally calibrated HDTV it will look exactly as it does in Premiere Pro. Great.

I ask because I'm getting really good skin tones in PPro, but when I play back in VLC or on youtube the tones get a bit pink/reddish.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:13:41 am

this might fix your youtube color problem. it doesn't work with adjustment layers directly
you have to use it in the dropdown for the export in adobe media encoder just before rendering. or you can NEST your sequence first.
its a premiere bug.

also it needs to be copied in both premiere-lumetri-technical and adobe media encoder-lumetri-technical

fixmyyoutube LUT
64 cube iridas lut for burning in darker 16-235 from 0-255 for youtube upload. it darkens image, then youtube re-lightens again.
https://f1.creativecow.net/10598/fixmyyoutube

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:59:58 am

Gee, I don't know. I don't like to mess around with voodoo 😉
Thanks Chris. btw, I have a GH4 now. Should I just set it to 16-235, or should I use the LUT either way, assuming it's ok with Dave LaRonde? :-0

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 23, 2017 at 7:00:32 am

If you're getting even semi serious about color you need:

-Calibration software. I use Lightspace but there are other/cheaper options. Calman, Displaycal etc.

-An I/O device (Blackmagic, AJA) that will output uncompressed, untouched signal from Premiere to a...

-Properly calibrated monitor. Preferably one that can load the calibration in the hardware. So what you see on the monitor is what you get.

When it comes to playing the file outside that you should listen to this short podcast from Mixing Light: https://soundcloud.com/mixinglight/mail-bag-ep1-part2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:34:46 pm

I can't help much, Duke. I don't seem to have color or gamma issues.

I haven't noticed any problems with spots from my TV station that make their way to YouTube.

On Sundays, I shoot the sermons at my church on a dead-simple consumer camera, compress the 1080 video to 720 and upload to YouTube. Again, no sweat.

It seems to be a simple, straightforward process for me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 23, 2017 at 4:35:46 pm

I think you're all taking my rhetorical question and blowing it out of proportion. I only wanted to know if I can trust the colors as they appear in PPro's program window to be correct, assuming my monitor was calibrated. That's all.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:21:05 pm

[Duke Sweden] "I only wanted to know if I can trust the colors as they appear in PPro's program window to be correct, assuming my monitor was calibrated. "

No.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]