FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Convertion

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Bright
Frame Rate Convertion
on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:05:54 am

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best group to post this but I'm editing in Premiere so not a bad place to start.

So, I've been editing in Premiere with 25fps footage but our delivery spec is 23.98fps. Our original online post house was fine with us doing this as long as we interpret the footage in the sequences.

We've since had to change our online to another post house due to cost... I asked if they had an alchemist to do the same frame rate conversion and they came back with the following response:

"With regards to the frame rate converting. I am wondering if it is possible to not frame rate convert the footage, but instead change the 25fps footage timebase to 23.98 (lengthening the clips by approximately 4 percent) to play out frame for frame. I really am a bit nervous about frame rate converting source material footage as I have run into issues doing this in the past. If we change the timebase rather than frame rate convert, this should prevent issues during the QC process with regards to frame interpolation, sharpness, ghosting and jitter."

I'm not 100% clear on what they means by "change the 25fps footage timebase to 23.98 (lengthening the clips by approximately 4 percent) to play out frame for frame."

If anyone can shed some light here it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Frame Rate Convertion
on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:51:27 am

Render your master out in 25fps. Bring it back in, right click, modify, interpret footage and change the framerate to 23,976. Render it out. The audio will be 4% slower so if you have an audio guy you'll want to run this by him so he ccan deal with pitch changes etc.

Return to posts index

Sarah Bright
on Jan 12, 2017 at 8:32:25 am

AH! Amazing! Thank you...

So, just to check, if I'm rendering out my master to 25 and then interpreting the sequence to 23,976, do I then essentially not have to interpret the original rushes before I start editing with it?

We will have a sound guy, so I'll run this past him.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 12, 2017 at 9:29:07 am

You should edit with the frame rate your footage was shot. Any standard conversions should be done to the final master.

Return to posts index

Sarah Bright
on Jan 12, 2017 at 9:51:17 am

Ace... Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]