FORUMS: list search recent posts

VSCO LUT Makes DSLR Footage Very Grainy in Certain Areas.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaleb Dortono
VSCO LUT Makes DSLR Footage Very Grainy in Certain Areas.
on Jan 11, 2017 at 11:16:38 pm
Last Edited By Kaleb Dortono on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:05:37 am

Below I have linked two video files (graded and ungraded)

In the graded version of the video, on the wall to the right, there seems to be a ton of noise/grain/whatever you want to call it.. But there just seems to be an excess of it, and it makes that side of the video almost unbearable to look at.

In the ungraded video, there does appear to be a slight amount of regular noise in the video, but it appears to be consistent (e.e. the whole wall has a slight amount of grain on it.) But after putting the LUT's and grades on, it seems to be extremely apparent. Not in a way that all the noise is lifted or amplified consistently, but it seems like only in certain parts of the wall are really bad.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?
Is this the limitation to 8-bit footage (or otherwise, low bitrate footage) that I keep hearing about?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
(also, past this problem, any tips on how to make my amateur colour grading better would also be greatly welcomed)

UNGRADED VIDEO
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b65lbl4hic9dcj6/UNGRADED.mp4?dl=0

GRADED VIDEO
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h00q8iclp8w9cn/GRADED.mp4?dl=0

*Note* You'll have to download these dropbox videos to be able to see what I'm talking about. The Dropbox player doesn't play in full resolution unfortunately. Download the videos and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thank you everyone!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: VSCO LUT Makes DSLR Footage Very Grainy in Certain Areas.
on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:38:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 12, 2017 at 8:25:54 pm

Forget about lookup tables and color grading. You have more basic concerns.

Work on your lighting skills first, which will solve a lot of problems.
Also know that you can't push a DSLR's H.264 footage very far without seeing a lot of noise.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kaleb Dortono
on Jan 13, 2017 at 1:57:14 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely set up some lights next time I shoot something like this.

My next question would be: If I am in a situation where lighting is not an option, how should I go about shooting for a good color grade?

I.e. I shoot wedding videos on a fairly-regular basis, and I often have troubles during the ceremony or reception (indoors) to get good shots that are able to be colour graded at all. (I rent a Canon C100 Mk II for these wedding shoots, so I am able to boost the ISO a little more than the average DSLR) But regardless, do you have any tips on how to shoot grade-able footage in a situation like a wedding where studio lighting isn't available?

Thanks for your help.
I'll be looking up more tips on lighting tonight :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:06:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:24:27 pm

I think you're a little confused about color grading.

I'm going to start by talking about color CORRECTION. It's the process of getting colors in clips and in edit sequences to reflect reality and look like each other. Getting a good White Balance in the camera is an essential first step so you don't have to correct much. Typically, it's all that most people need. Color correction is also the first step in color GRADING.

Color Grading, on the other hand, is the Black Art of skewing color values in images, edited sequences and even portions of images in a certain way to achieve a desired overall look. It is NOT easy. It requires detailed knowledge on a wide variety of specialized topics. People spend years at the sides of accomplished colorists to learn the trade, which goes FAR beyond merely adjusting color controls. That's why good colorists make the Big Bucks -- few people can actually do what they do,

Sure, you can apply a preset from Magic Bullet, or you can try an almost-always-useless-for-the-task-at-hand lookup table, but that doesn't make you a colorist. It makes you a user.

So what are you -- a color corrector, a colorist or a user?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Patrick Simpson
on Jun 10, 2017 at 9:47:36 pm

My best guess is a combination of 8 bit footage at a relatively low bit rate. Dark areas are particularly tricky for compression and really start to show at low bit rates.

What camera are you using? Are you shooting in a flat or Log profile?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]