Open Caption position unstable

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Sheehan
Open Caption position unstable
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:13:20 am

Premiere Pro 2017.0.1 11.0.1(6)
OSX 10.10.4

I am having trouble with open captions staying in the position I have selected.

No matter how many times I set the font position bottom center it won't stick in most cases. I set each and every caption in my program to bottom center. I save and exit and reopen and the captions have repositioned without my intervention to the lower left.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Francis Sheehan

Return to posts index

Francis Sheehan
Re: Open Caption position unstable
on Jan 11, 2017 at 2:31:05 am

This issue seems to be related to the horizontal size of the text block.

The wider the block, the less likely it will follow user selected formatting. Very long lines, those beyond title safety, can result in very bad final positioning. The real kick in the pants is text blocks may appear fine while you are editing them and then randomly change to a horrifying position.

The only means I was able to come up with to solve this problem was to shorten troubled caption blocks width to well within title safety. Then cut the text from the block, set center position via the user grid button, and paste the text back into the block.

Lesson learned.

Francis Sheehan

Return to posts index

Trevor LeForge
on Jun 22, 2017 at 1:54:12 am

Hello there! I am using the version of Premiere that is current as of the time of this reply. I have figured out how to fix the position wherever you like. This is a general guide that I came up with to get nicely bottom centred text that anyone should be able to easily adjust. The bold is the important bit. The rest of the text may not be needed for more experienced users, but the UNBOLDED TEXT AHEAD may contain helpful tips

HOW TO:

There are nine small squares in a grid like pattern. Ensure the bottom centre box is filled in (if not, just click around it a few times until it is).

No need to touch the XY percentages. (The rightmost percentage should already be at the highest point, meaning if you try to hold click and drag it any higher, it won’t go past the number where it is. Alternatively, if you try to type a number that’s higher than the max, it should just immediately go down to the max, if that makes sense?).

Now, click on the captions (the purple bits, not the black bars within the purple bits) in the timeline and go to the “Effect Controls” Panel.

Set the rightmost number of the “Anchor Point” to 500 (or whatever you think is best looking) and voila! You can easily change the XY position of all of the captions by simply changing the Anchor Point numbers. If things look a bit weird or off centre after changing the anchor point, ensure the centre middle box is still checked.

Hope this helps. I came here earlier today and didn't exactly find an answer, but found this out and wanted to share the things I learned!

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 22, 2017 at 5:34:39 am

I would pass on using Premiere for open captions altogether. Premiere has a very weak captions interface.

Instead, use amara.org. Create your open captions on their site, export a caption file, import that file into a program like Submerge (osx) and voila, you have an open captioned video.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Andrew Haas
on Sep 29, 2017 at 9:36:51 pm

Using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.2
I appreciate Trevor's post but it didn't work for me but it got me playing around and I hit upon what seems to work.
(I also agree with Greg that Premier is an inferior tool for the job unless/until Adobe gets their cow pies in order.)

How to fix open captions in Adobe Premier Pro that decided to drift off to another position:

• Click the purple part of the box that contains all the black open caption bits inside.
  • Using the captions window, make sure the first caption is selected
  • Scroll down and shift+click the last one (in between the in and out time codes is a good spot)
  • With the entire series of captions in this open caption file selected, click the bottom center (or whichever one you want) filled in which may take several clicks till it registers.
  • With all still selected, retype the number in the font size.

• Voilà the text that was pushed off to the right (or wherever) should all pop back into it's proper place.
    Granted this fix assumes all your open captions are the same size but it's probably all most people need until the code team is locked into a room till they squash this bug in the next release (2017.1.3?).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]