FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image looks good, except for bright shirt which looks cartoonish

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Image looks good, except for bright shirt which looks cartoonish
on Dec 13, 2016 at 12:45:12 am

For some reason my shirt appears to be solarized in this footage. Everything else appears normal. You'd think a GH4 could handle this. Any ideas? Here's a screenshot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Image looks good, except for bright shirt which looks cartoonish
on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:28:13 am

I take it the shot in motion looks equally crummy. I don't know the recording codec for that camera. What color was the shirt originally? And what happens if you make the shirt color something else, or crank the saturation down a bit?

And was this stuff shot recently? If so I want to be there. I got 8 inches of snow on the ground here at home and the weather app says it's 4 degrees outside. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 2:14:29 am

Hey Dave,
The codec is 8 bit 4:2:0 h.264. Original footage was shot in C4K. The shirt IS that color, it's the weird saturation and 480pish look to it that's got me perplexed. As you can see the rest of the image is not oversaturated, and even though my skin shares some of the same color tones, it doesn't display the same effect.

This was shot yesterday. I'm in N.C. Wanna trade houses? I love the snow.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:37:58 am

check your camera settings. was it shot in vlog? is this ungraded?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 2:07:58 am

Hey Chris, no it was shot in CineD with all settings at -5. I added an input LUT for CineD with those settings from Noam Kroll which did a nice job on the skin tones but turned the shirt into what you see. No other grading.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:17:42 am

UPDATE: Well, here's what I did. I added my old standby input LUT "G7 to BM4K" which flattens the video, THEN I added an adjustment layer and added this Noam Kroll CineD LUT there and it looks great.

Thanks for nothin' ya bums!!! 😉
Cheers

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:54:02 am

And this is why one should know what LUTs are doing before slapping them on footage.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 2:55:27 pm

Why? You won't know until you slap it on, and you can always remove it. Plus that wasn't the cause of the problem. I just checked my CineD settings and noticed that for some reason Saturation was set to +5, as in PLUS 5. Why, I don't know. I'd never do it myself. Odd, that.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:06:39 pm

Why?

-Is the LUT expecting a linear image?
-Is the LUT expecting a logarithmic image?
-Is the LUT expecting a rec709 image?
-Is the LUT expecting a certain image that is shot with a specific camera with camera specific settings?
-Will the LUT clip values?

Et cetera.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:55:34 pm

The LUT was made for the GH4 Cinelike D profile with specified settings. The other LUT as well (G7 to BM4K)
As for all that other stuff, I will remind you again that I'm just a goofball, goofing around with color grading. Also, as I pointed out, that horrendous orange/red shirt thing was caused by saturation, for some reason, being cranked to +5. Not by any improper LUTs.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:40:01 pm

Panasonic GH4 all minus 5 don't fit the Noam Kroll CineD lut !

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:57:20 pm

Did I say I had all settings at -5? All I said was for some reason Saturation was set at PLUS 5. I've since adjusted it. Do you use that Kroll CineD LUT? How do you like it?

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 13, 2016 at 5:22:25 pm

"Did I say I had all settings at -5?"

Hey Chris, no it was shot in CineD with all settings at -5.

I think The Noam Kroll lut i okay ! I just upgrade my GH4 to V-Log L and got at Atomos Ninja Flame !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:00:49 pm

Lookup tables, schmookup tables.

Unless there's a compelling reason to use them -- and there usually isn't because you can almost always adjust the camera to shoot what you need -- I say get things right at the time of the shoot, then color correct if necessary. Just tossing that out there for the group.

Someone's going to have to explain to me why LUT's are such a big deal. I'M LISTENING.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 15, 2016 at 5:40:19 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Someone's going to have to explain to me why LUT's are such a big deal. I'M LISTENING.
"

Because they get marketed as magic bullets that MAKE YOUR IMAGES AWESOME! Instead of, you know, learning how to grade. Everything that a LUT does (and more) can be replicated with grading tools.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 15, 2016 at 7:38:13 am

i still find it bizarre that people pay hundred of dollars for luts when each camera's individual contrast, sat, settings will completely wreck the intent of the lut, not to mention lighting. The user who made it, has a certain monitor brand, next to a bright window, and makes rough gamma settings to try to offset that particular environment. his gamma 2.2 will not be your gamma 2.2 even if he is calibrated. this is because of ambient light. no one ever uses the ambient light function on spyders and color temp d50 bulbs anyway. Another problem is, if you slap a lut on a shadowy shot, it will be 20x harder to correct it. using a lut is like taking a big mess from someone and then paying them to give you a big mess.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 15, 2016 at 7:49:52 am

Take it easy !

The Noam Kroll lut is for correct a bad skin color in the CineD factory settings !

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 15, 2016 at 11:29:56 am

You know, I find it interesting that, a few months ago, I was asking how to get a cool look to a scene because when I added an adjustment layer and tinted it blue it just looked like I tinted everything blue, it didn't give that cold look I was going for. And the answer I got from you guys was a link to an article about LUTs!!!!!

For your information I tweak and color correct and grade everything manually, THEN I'll play with a LUT to try and get that elusive film look I (and most of you) are always after. I don't slap a LUT on a flat out of camera file and hope for the best.

I've always been respectful towards you guys and mentioned many times how grateful I am that you "pro's" are always willing to help, but the snarkiness of these last few comments I can DO WITHOUT!!! I've said many times I'm a 62 year old guy whose wife died 2 1/2 years ago, half blind and doing this for the fun of it. On top of that it wasn't a LUT that caused my problem, it was saturation set at plus 5 for some reason.

Thanks for the backup, Ole.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2016 at 5:49:36 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Because they get marketed as magic bullets that MAKE YOUR IMAGES AWESOME! Instead of, you know, learning how to grade. Everything that a LUT does (and more) can be replicated with grading tools."

Ah, a refreshingly frank answer! Thank you!

I thought that was the case. But since I don't shoot, my workplace has no exotic cameras and as a rule I deal with only three kinds of cameras, I thought I might have missed something.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 15, 2016 at 6:30:40 pm

"Instead of, you know, learning how to grade. Everything that a LUT does (and more) can be replicated with grading tools."

Wake up and smell the coffee !

LUT - Look-up Table

My monitors use lut for calibration - my i1Display Pro / graphic card use lut ! I use lut with my Atomos Ninja Flame ! I use lut from log to rec.709 - I use lut with my GH4 - My Dji Mavic Pro - GoPro Hero 4 - sometimes i make my own in Photoshop and save them for my NLE !

You still have to color correct and adjust grade even when you use a lut !

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 16, 2016 at 5:11:15 am

[Ole Kristiansen] "My monitors use lut for calibration"

So do mine. And I also use technical luts because I know what they are doing eg. if I need to make sure that the images that we get from our Fusion comps look like they should in other systems.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 15, 2016 at 10:19:03 pm

Dave and Tero, the both of you are cordially invited not to respond to my questions in the future since they seem to tie you up in self-righteous knots.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2016 at 12:21:55 am

Awwwww, and here I thought you enjoyed may rants.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 16, 2016 at 3:07:08 am

Evidently your knowledge of LUT's is equal to your ability to recognize sarcasm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]